Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Cheaper alternative to garden fence?
  • _tom_
    Free Member

Well this wind has done a number on my garden fence and even if I replace it myself rather than get someone in it’s looking pretty expensive to do the whole lot properly. None of it is really salvageable apart from maybe a post or two as all the panels are old and nackered as well. Anyone know of any decent alternative or am I gonna have to cough up at least half (if my neighbours are willing to help me out)? It’s probably about 15m total that needs replacing. Preferably something that can withstand the wind or let it through a bit better next time as the fence has been repaired no end of times due to the wind before.

Nico
    Free Member

A hedge?

The other half has a lot of that cheap panel fencing that is always blowing over. Last time she just left it and the neighbour has planted some privet. It looks a bit skimpy at the moment but give it a year or two.

nedrapier

Nick off into the woods and liberate some beech saplings.

This might or might not be legal, I have no idea. A friend suggested it who also warned me off cutting the hedge down during nesting season – illegal under countryside act. Maybe beech liberation was OK because it can be done more subtley!

_tom_
    Free Member

haha I think I may give that a miss then..

was wondering whether I could just cheaply stick up some of that brush/bamboo screening roll stuff for the time being using the existing posts..

I did think hedges, but surely it’d take forever to grow?

Jakester
    Free Member

I have just bought some of these:

http://www.postbuddysystem.co.uk/

Our dividing fence at the front has a couple of knackered posts but is otherwise fine.

Since our neighbours have just ignored it, I decided to fit concrete spur posts, but found these instead.

Hoping to put them in over the w/e and can report back thereafter if needed?

bigyinn
    Free Member

I’ve built a fence using 4″ square posts and then nailed 3″ boards across them alternating each side of the post with a 3″ gap between boards on the same size.
    You can tailor the gap if privacy is an issue. The gaps are the key bit as the wind can get through and its pretty easy to replace individual planks if necessary.
    I did this at my mum’s 14 years ago and not a single problem since.
    (Digging out the old posts was another matter however!)

Nico
    Free Member

Hedges take a few years to grow to full thickness, but unless you are very old you will live to see them in their full finery. And they won’t blow over next winter*. I’d recommend hawthorn. Buy whips for best long-term results.

* or next week.

If you want to temporarily fill a gap just use some old farm machinery. It’s an age-old country tradition.

wwaswas

Jakester – I’m interested in an update please.

Smudger666

Jakester – Member

POSTED 8 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST

wwaswas – Member
    Jakester – I’m interested in an update please[/quote]

give him a chance FFS 😉

Jakester
    Free Member

Smudger666 – Member

Jakester – Member

POSTED 8 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST

wwaswas – Member
    Jakester – I’m interested in an update please

give him a chance FFS

😀

_tom_
    Free Member

haha I’m also interested in that. I have a couple of missing posts that definitely need replacing but if they work for the current ones that’d save a bit of money.

waihiboy
    Free Member

imo the only way to do it properly and to make it last longer is this..

I’ve built a fence using 4″ square posts and then nailed 3″ boards across them alternating each side of the post with a 3″ gap between boards on the same size.
    You can tailor the gap if privacy is an issue. The gaps are the key bit as the wind can get through and its pretty easy to replace individual planks if necessary.
    I did this at my mum’s 14 years ago and not a single problem since.
    (Digging out the old posts was another matter however!)

but use concrete posts for even better longevity.

bearnecessities

Wind specific fencing you say?

Not cheap though! However it has added benefit of being a nice feature (despite the fact I’m going to grow a 90ft hedge 😈 )

slackalice
    Free Member

Hornbeam rather than Hawthorn if you go that route. It grows a lot quicker.

Bare root is best and cheapest and depending where you are in the country, you might just have time. The more North the more time you’ll have.

bearnecessities

Ta (not wishing to hijack). Undecided on hedge TBH. I like Hornbeam from a ‘tidy’ perspective, but am more attracted to Hawthorn for the nice blossoms & berries.

Plus I want something that’ll be used by birdies, for whom I think Hawthorne is more attractive.

spooky_b329

Palisade fencing if you just want to mark the boundary/stop pets. Double palisade is the two sided stuff that if spaced correctly can’t be seen though at an angle…its what I’d go for being in a very windy location.

Not cheap though compared to budget panels.

breadcrumb

This is what me and the Father-in-law done. Managed to get rejected timber from a pallet factory, anything that had a slight mark could not be used for pallets carrying food stuff. £3 for a 100×100 “post”, boards where a quid each (75mm x 3.6m+). Very cheap, very sturdy fence.

CountZero

This is what me and the Father-in-law done. Managed to get rejected timber from a pallet factory, anything that had a slight mark could not be used for pallets carrying food stuff. £3 for a 100×100 “post”, boards where a quid each (75mm x 3.6m+). Very cheap, very sturdy fence.

The 10m fence at the bottom of the garden has been trashed, and I was going to replace it helping a mate who has far beter buildery skillz than what I do, using feather board. I was thinking today of the possibility of doing the alternating palisade board system so I was interested to see the same thing posted here.
    I really like the idea of getting hold of reject pallet timber, anything to keep costs to a minimum.
    Any links to your supplier, breadcrumb?

molgrips
    Free Member

Quite tempted to experiment with chain link and a mix of fast growing climbers here. Might let in a good deal more light.

worldrallyteam
    Free Member

After replacing 6ft panels time after time (I had 18 running down one side, think we had 32 in total) , I put in one using 6ft fence rails with 8ft 4″ posts and 3 bags of post mix each. Hired a nail gun which, once the posts and the 3 horizontals are on, takes no time to put up. Maybe not the cheaper version you were wanting, but is built to last. It’s also quite handy working for a builders merchant. Still got the main length to do, but there are now 5 of them down and 3 are looking as they will go, so going to put more of the stronger fence in.

breadcrumb

It was a friend of the FIL that got it.

I think the pallet manufacturer gave it to him as they would otherwise of had to pay for disposal.

CountZero

Ok, thanks, breadcrumbs, I’ve been googling like mad, trying to find someone who sells reject pallet timber.
    If there’s any chance you could find out who they are, I could contact them myself and see if I could get hold of some myself.
    In the meantime I’ll keep hunting around myself, see if I can track down something myself.

breadcrumb

A quick search for pallet manufactures in Workington come up with Larch LTD.

I’d just search for a local pallet manufacturer, ask if they have and rejected timber. HTH.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Cheaper alternative to garden fence?’ is closed to new replies.