Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Cheap waterproof pannier bag help please…
  • TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I really haven’t got a clue. Any advice or reccomendations would be excellent 🙂

Ta.

TheBrick
    Free Member

I’ve just use any cheap pannier with a draybag(s) inside, easier to organise and I can keep things I don’t want in a sweaty bag out side in a breathable bag.

carlphillips
    Free Member

my mrs uses cheapo pannier a la halfrauds and an alpkit dry bag.
    2yrs on and commuting 7+miles each way not a drop inside the bag…
    problem solved.

edit : when i was lucky enough to commute on my bike i used an old dog food bag to wrap my kit up in…super tough and definitely waterproof

TheBrick
    Free Member

rubble sacks is also an alternative.

cinnamon_girl

Well, assuming this is for your imminent trip, cheap and waterproof are not necessarily compatible.

I used Ortlieb panniers and I’m glad I did, 4 days of constant rain across Dartmoor and Exmoor really put them to the test. They passed.

Edit: I went for the lightweight version, another consideration for you.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Haha, yes it is C_G 🙂

I was looking at the Ortlieb one’s.. but they aint cheap… although they are waterproof!

The cheapo pannier’s with dry bag option could be a goer. It’s highly likely I’ll have sweaty gear that needs to dry in the main areas and then keep clean stuff fresh in dry bags?

cinnamon_girl

I used a dry bag as well!

There’s some panniers on Classifieds, doesn’t mention the make though. Do you have a rack?

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Nope I have nothing. Just a 3 week deadline to get myself sorted 🙂

cinnamon_girl

I find it hard to believe that you’re disorganised!

cynic-al
    Free Member

Aldi had some recently.

FWIW good panniers last decades, even commuting, it’s worth the spend IMO.

RustySpanner

The Edinburgh Bike Co-Op ones are brilliant – made by Vaude IIRC but cheaper.

I’ve got some Orliebs. Partner’s daughter has these and they’re just as good TBH.

Linky.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Eh C_G… why can’t I be disorganised?? I’m organised professionally.
    Haven’t got a route or accomodation planned yet!

I’m just not sure how much I’ll use them… have found some Ortliebs for £80 though.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Carradice? not as expensive as ortleib but very good

LadyAlexMTB
    Free Member

Altura urbans are not cheap cheap but certainly cheaper than a lot of others. #50 ish I think. (sorry my american computer won’t do pounds, grrr) I have a pair and they’re completely waterproof and easy to clip on and off.

Used for mtb and road touring many times now.

Some aspects of them are not as hardwearing as I imagine an expensive pair would be; for example the clip which keeps the pannier from flapping about when you roll over a bump pinged off on a steep hill yesterday….

slugwash
    Free Member

Lidls had some waterproof, roll top panniers for sale recently (around £15 each). If you go to one of the larger stores they often have stuff left for sale from their previous weeks offers. (I saw them in Lidls Torquay if that’s any help)

resisted
    Free Member

Altura Drylines are worth a look at. 2 sizes; 32L (pair) or 56L (pair). and come in an reasonable £79.99 and £89.99 respectively (again, pair). Pretty substantial “click-fix” mountings so easy to both secure and remove.

Used to sell them by the bucket load and never had any issues with them.

tang
    Free Member

i had some cheap dhb roll tops from wiggle years ago, not sure if they do them still, been great might be worth a look.

jimc101
    Free Member

Ortlieb or Vaude, you get what you pay for.

I had some DHB(Wiggle) ones a few years ago, cheap and well made, and no longer available, the EBC ones are similar to these, but last time I looked, had had some changes, in the strap area, and didn’t look as strong.

Cheap ones generally just won’t last or will not be very waterproof; however Lidl & Aldi do tend to disprove this.

druidh
    Free Member

resisted – Member
    Altura Drylines are worth a look at. 2 sizes; 32L (pair) or 56L (pair). and come in an reasonable £79.99 and £89.99 respectively (again, pair). Pretty substantial “click-fix” mountings so easy to both secure and remove.

Used to sell them by the bucket load and never had any issues with themI’ve been using Drylines but the material on the back (the side facing the rack) has now started to tear due to wear.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Cheap waterproof pannier bag help please…’ is closed to new replies.