Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Cheap walking boot suggestions
  • soobalias
    Free Member

Any recommendations for cheap walking boots?
    Taking the boys to the breacon beacons in april and will hope to get a bit of biking and a bit of walking done – my missus and kids have never climbed a mountain.

Thing is the lads are likely to never wear them again, so reluctant to spend loads of money, but i accept (even if they dont) that trainers are not up to the job

40mpg

Go Outdoors is your friend. Just get some decent socks (liner socks and walking socks) and jobs a goodun
    Kinky boots

Nick

Thing is the lads are likely to never wear them again

why?

My kids have these, they get plenty of use out of them, buy a size a little large and some thick socks

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/hi-tec-childrens-altitude-elite-iv-waterproof-boots-p133502

chakaping
    Free Member

TK Maxx will probably have something cheap and serviceable.

You might even want to get some hybrid walking boot/trainer things (approach shoes?), which your kids could wear for general mucking about.

Those are fine for hillwalking, especially somewhere not very rocky like the brecons.

soobalias
    Free Member

ok those derwents are pretty bargainous

the lads are 16&17, the best hope is that their feet dont grow anymore and they will have a pair of boots available to use in the future if they want to – more interested in scooters/alcohol/girls..

also need to kit them with waterproofs and some trousers that are neither super baggy denim nor water holding tracky bums.

sweepy
    Free Member

I realised a while ago that I could put on walking boots, walk ten miles, and my legs were shagged. Or I could put on trainers, run the same route and be fresh as a daisy by comparison. I still wear the boots for scrambling or in snow but on the Beacons id rather be in a trainer.

Nick

I would take them to either Go Outdoors or Decathlon, get them to chose, trainers are ok if you’ve got strong ankles and are used to the terrain but I think a supportive fabric boot would be better imo.

sweepy
    Free Member

They’re teenagers, they’ve probably worn nothing but trainers for years. Put them in boots and they will sulk so much they wont enjoy it, and probably get blisters into the bargain. Or maybe thats just me 🙂
    Dont let the Mrs wear heels tho 🙂

kevj
    Free Member

Try TK Max, I recently bought a pair of Brasher boots for 50 quid, looked on-line for the same elsewhere and the best price I could see was £129.
    They had a few kids boots but I didn’t pay too much attention to which make etc.

gonetothehills
    Free Member

+1 for Go Outdoors for the higher quality kit. The Decathlon own label Quecha (sp?) stuff’s remarkably good – got one of the best pairs of walking boots I’ve ever owned from there, and I’ve had some expensive ones in my time. TK Maxx a good bet, but the stock will be unpredictable. The other bargain place is Sports Direct – they seem to get Karrimor stuff dirt cheap.

Neil-F
    Free Member

Sports Direct or First Sports do Karrimor walkers, they’re ok, and usually around the £20 to £30 mark for something decent, waterproof too.

fruitbat

Karrimor for me too. When you get fed up with walking you can modify them for SPD winter duties too 😀

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Cheap walking boot suggestions’ is closed to new replies.