Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Cheap tubes
  • soma_rich
    Free Member

Got some Ritchey ones for £1 each on CRC last week but there all gone now. Anyone seen any other bargains?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Usually about £1.50 in Tesco…..

odannyboy
    Free Member

not presta tho…

Teetosugars
    Free Member
    Gary_M
    Free Member

Thats a good offer from cycle world. Do they charge postage? Never used them before and can't see anything on their website.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

not presta tho…

No, they're proper valves instead.

dufresneorama
    Free Member

I'll never go back to Schrader
    …Presta are the bomb y'all

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I'll never go back to Schrader
    …Presta are the bomb y'all

I asked for that I suppose. So, go on then, give me one decent reason why not. 🙂

I'll start: Schrader are a lot tougher.

Your turn…..

hilldodger
    Free Member

A presta valve is approximately 2g lighter than a schrader, and as it's rotating mass it counts treble 😀

Although you may have to factor in the fact that the schrader uses a bigger hole so the rim is lighter.

Also schrader sounds a bit too German, my grandaddy didn't fight two world wars so I could use german sounding valves in my bicycle, oh no……

dufresneorama
    Free Member

Personally I think Presta are easier to inflate/deflate?

When you push on a pump, sometimes schrader valves pop back into the rim….Presta lock ring stops that happening.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Gary_M – Member
    Thats a good offer from cycle world. Do they charge postage? Never used them before and can't see anything on their website.

Yeah they do, I can't remember exactly how much, but I ordered it them 2pm and got them at 10am the next day…

Well worth it IMHO

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Personally I think Presta are easier to inflate/deflate?

A few seconds maximum.
    I'll give you 1/2 a point for that one

When you push on a pump, sometimes schrader valves pop back into the rim….Presta lock ring stops that happening.

Hold it in with your thumb, or put the valve at the bottom and press into the floor.
    Or you can get Schrader valves with lock rings too, if you must. Personally, I reckon it's more faff fitting/removing lock rings and unscrewing the valve every time you want to pump it up than it is hoding the valve in place.
    0 points for that one

My turn again
    In an emergency, your Presta tube will fit my Schrader drilled rim. That won't work the other way round. Long walk home for you.

That's 2 – 0.5 to me so far.

You're up! 🙂

soma_rich
    Free Member

Cycle world are near me so I will pop in and pick up 3 cheers 🙂

organic355
    Free Member

I just got a 10 pack of these for £20

havnt actually tried them yet, but the green cap makes a nice change!! 🙂

dufresneorama
    Free Member

My turn again
    In an emergency, your Presta tube will fit my Schrader drilled rim. That won't work the other way round. Long walk home for you.

Surely that's a point for Presta?

Sometimes you can't just thumb it in, if its not a locking schrader, I've seen the rubber at the base of the valve get worn on the hole.

"Alakazam, hey Presta…'

dufresneorama
    Free Member

A bit OT. but I'm gonna be using 1.75 Conti travel contacts on my commuter…the Bonty tubes on cycleworld, should I go 1.25-1.75 or 1.75-2.35?

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

should I go 1.25-1.75 or 1.75-2.35?

Either, but I'd get the ones that will also work on my other bikes if I need them to. specific innertubes for specific bikes are a PITA.

dufresneorama
    Free Member

Strange…
    I clicked to order 1.75-2.35 but the next page shows them as 1.75-2.125 saying they'll do up to 2.25 then when you add them to your basket….1.95

hmmmm

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Hardly makes any difference.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Cheap tubes’ is closed to new replies.