Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Cheap substitutes for bike specific products
  • mtb_matt
    Free Member

Does anyone here use a cheaper substitute for a bike specific product.

For example.

Instead of Muc Off I use diluted Swarfega Patio Cleaner which is probably works out 100x cheaper and is suspiciously the same colour.

Another is chainsaw oil instead of Finishline wet lube. £5 for 1L of B&Q oil. Again same green colour as Finishline but slightly less viscous.

Any others?

trailmonkey

Last seasons' football shirts for tech/wicking jerseys.

robarnold
    Free Member

My old man reckons i've got a razor blade as a saddle…does that count? 🙂

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

viz special: a 'borrowed' traffic cone and an aerolastic make a cheap effective substitute for an overpriced helmet

steve_b77
    Free Member

Regatta outdoor clothing instead of Bike specific stuff, drop tails – check, lightweight – check, cheaper – oh yes

Garry_Lager

Anyone tried latex for car tyres instead of stans, wheel milk etc? Imagine it would be cheaper.

I asked for some last time I was in Halfords but the orangutan behind the counter was stumped and couldn't offer any advice.

spock
    Free Member

cree torches instead of bike lights? £15 for 230 lumens and 3.5 hour battery life, £100 for 120 lumens and 2.5 hour battery life.

uplink
    Free Member

Fox Float Fluid is really just 85w gearbox oil

andrewh
    Free Member

Oil filter wrench £5. Cheapo chain-whip £19.99. Posh chain-whip £loads

Both work well on 9 and 10 speeds. Bought the chain-whip ages ago, then the wrench some time later. Only tried it as an experiment to see if works, and it does. Could have saved a bit if I'd known.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

2 pieces of worn out chain
    300mm 4mmx15mm steel bar
    drill 2 holes + curved notch
    = cheapo chain whip 🙂

crikey
    Free Member

Sausages instead of handlebar grips.

A cod fillet instead of padding in the shorts.

Pumpkin instead of a helmet.

Human skin makes a luvly gilet.

uplink
    Free Member

2 pieces of worn out chain
    300mm 4mmx15mm steel bar
    drill 2 holes + curved notch
    = cheapo chain whip

It's easier just to nail a bit of chain onto some 2×2
    The timber bites into the cassette

GhostRider
    Free Member

£17 Aldi bike tool kit, Ice Toolz equivelant £49 – not to mention the money saved on LBS visits. Full set of Aldi Torx & Hex wrenchs £15, Park equivelant £80.
    Mountain life base and mid layers all half price or less. Gore !!!how much ???
    Unspecified oil from grampas shed, priceless…
    Bog standard baggy shorts (Matalan, Primark) cheap padded lycras for undys.
    Fox gloves from Bikedock as long you dont mind styles from a few years back.
    Only thing i wouldn't scrimp on is foot wear and a good waterproof jacket.

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

10/10 to Crikey that genuinly made me laugh loud enough for Mrs NCB to come through and see what was so funny!

antigee

was thinkin of going to a maxle instead of the qr that i knocked up by very carefully shaving down and stretching out an old flip top marmite

a quick check in the fridge with the vernier and a cheese string will def' do it – no prob!

to be on the same side i'm going to use the twin colour laminated ones – i'm sure they'll be stronger and then i'll only ride if the temp is below zero until i've worked out if repeated freeze thaw might mean that i'll need a pack of quavers strapped to the top tube to ensure i meet nadcap 3

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Cheap substitutes for bike specific products’ is closed to new replies.