Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Cheap sleeping bag for bivvying
  • stayhigh

Morning All

I’d like to get a sleeping bag to go bivvying/bikepacking with to replace the large bulky one I currently have. I was thinking of getting one of the Tesco’s down ones that they had last year however they dont seem to be doing these anymore which is a shame as it was about my budget.

I have upto £50 and would be looking for it to be ok for spring/summer use.

Cheers All

simon1975
    thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’d spend a little more for a bivi on the basis that unlike a tent you’re not very protected from the cold in a bivi bag, epecialy if it rains IME.

I’ve got a down one that my parents bought when they were in their 20s so good ones are clearly an investment!

SimonR

Just bought a Decathlon synthetic bag – seems like a bit of a bargain for what you get. As far as I remember the one I got recently was this one here. I’ve had one of these too for a year or so now.

There’s several ratings to choose from depending on how spartan you’re feeling. I’ve used the s15 down to just below 5degC in conjuntion with a light primaloft jacket and although not toasty warm it was bearable. I bought the warmer one (s5) for when I’m feeling a bit nesh.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

check alpkit for deals, much better kit than the cheapoverpriced stuff

binners

I bought one of the Decathlon S15 sleeping bags SimonR linked for bivvying. Its perfect. Considering how small and light it is, I found it unbelievably warm. And that was at the end of September when it wasn’t exactly toasty outdoors

Ewan
    Free Member

This is technically a bargain and all you will (likely) ever need…

http://www.rockrun.com/products/Rab-Alpine-600.html

As to whether it’s cheap or not depends on your frame of reference (it was 350 quid).

I brought one for an extended bivy trip i’m going on next month in the alps – should be mmmmm toasty.

stayhigh

As it happens I’m planning a trip to Decathlon which has a Go Outdoors next door so will check both of them out.

The Rab one is a bargain price for what it is but its also £150 over budget….

colonelwax
    Free Member

I got one of these Decathlon ones and bivied in April with it. Was OK but ended up sleeping with me clothes and a hat on. I’ve got a down bag which is warmer but I prefer synthetic when bivvying as you don’t have to worry about it getting wet.

Having something decent between you and the floor is pretty important too.

druidh
    Free Member

Think carefully about your choice of a Down bag if you are bivvying. If it gets wet, it’ll be next to useless. Synthetic materials will fare much better.

Speshpaul

I picked a cheap £30 down Gilet Craighoppers from one of the outlets at BsC. works as a double function if you are cold in the bag stick it on.

tarka_the_rotter
    Free Member

I don’t know if you’re interested – but I bought a Tescos down bag last year for the OMM, used it once indoors, and then lost my nerve and bought a much warmer one for Scottish October hill use…

You can have it for £20 washed and posted if you want…

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Cheap sleeping bag for bivvying’ is closed to new replies.