• This topic has 17 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 15 years ago by dobo.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Cheap race bike
  • dogtiredandwired
    Free Member

I am looking to build up a low cost bike for racing and the odd hoon over the hills on a pleasant sunny evening.

Currently thinking about building something up based around a Charge Duster or an On-One Scandal frame, running 100mm forks.

Does anyone out there have any views on either of these?

[sits back and waits for the deluge]

sc-xc

I have a Duster, and it’s great…

johnny

Got a Kona Kula deluxe frame via ebay, built up with 100mm rebas, nice wide flat bars- it’s pretty racy but ideal for a couple of hours on local trails.

Climbs superbly, but angles are relaxed anough for a few rocky downhills, etc.

HTTP404
    Free Member

wouldn’t have thought the duster to be a “race bike”.

what size bike are you looking for?

dogtiredandwired
    Free Member

I am around 6’1″, and looking for something around the 18″ frame mark.

Open to suggestions if you have any other good ideas. The frame it is replacing is a 2002 Stumpy that always was a little on the large size. It has seen good service, but much better days.

dogtiredandwired
    Free Member

sc-xc, is that a Brooks saddle I see on your duster?

I think that is the first time I have ever seen one on a “proper” mountain bike.

Guilliano
    Free Member

I have a 2007 Gary Fisher Marlin frame (19″) that you could have for £75 including the cane creek headset it came with. Rides beautifully and has had nothing but good reviews.

dogtiredandwired
    Free Member

Gulliano,

That is very tempting, le me have a think about it and get back to you later this afternoon.

DTAW.

rolfharris
    Free Member

The Duster will build up into a heavy bike for racing. Steel isn’t the way to go for that sort of thing.

If you want a race bike that’s really good on proper trails too without costing a fortune, I’d agree with johnny and say a Kona. I had one when I started out racing and it was excellent- very light (about 23lbs with XT gearing and wheels with Marzocchi forks) and wonderful downhill. It cost me about £450 to build up 2nd hand. I now ride a Giant full bouncer and can say similar things but for one below 25lbs you’d be looking at over 2 grand.

sc-xc

^ Rolf, you know I’m no racer….

rolfharris
    Free Member

Have you still got your evil?

sc-xc

yes mate, still pretty rubbish at riding it though 😐

PJ266
    Free Member

Could do alot worse than a Giant XTC hardtail, theyre damn good frames. Just so happens i have one for sale 😉

oldgit
    Free Member

XTC you say? like the one I’ve just posted.
    What size is yours PJ266 as I’m thinking of building a V braked double chainset job for cross.

PJ266
    Free Member

Its a medium, so 19 inch seat tube. Unfortunately, its disc only 🙁 so wont be of much use to you?

13thfloormonk

My Duster:

I love it, but i’m no racer either. I use it for exploring the hills, attempting silly technical climbs that would be quicker to walk, and going stupidly fast (well, by my standards) on rooty, twisty singletrack.

With Rebas and mid-to-high-end shimano kit i think it weighs in at about 27lb, maybe a little less.

I’m 5’11” and have an 18″, but it needs a 100mm stem and layback seatpost. I’d perhaps look at a 20″ if you’re over 6 foot.

backhander
    Free Member

Got a Commencal supernormal perfect for 6ft odd. £600 ONO.
    May sell frame for £100, also got reba SLs on the bike which I could also sell, oh and wheels too. Based in Bristol. According to Commencal ,builds up to ~24lbs with average kit. Check spec in classifieds.

dobo
    Free Member

giant xtc and kona kula primo often crop up on classifieds and would make a good starting race frame. i bought one of each from here 🙂

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Cheap race bike’ is closed to new replies.