Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Cheap flat-barred SS – thoughts?
  • ashfanman
    Free Member

Got forwarded this by a friend. Looking for a relatively cheap runaround and this seems reasonable for £250, but know nothing at all about road/SS bikes so thought I’d consult the STW brain trust.

On sale here.

What do we think?

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

awful

ashfanman
    Free Member

awful

For what reason?

epicyclo

Interesting chain position. It is highly unlikely to be a “premium” bike at that price. Designer tatt.

fourbanger
    Free Member

It’s only a photo, but nothing looks too far off to me. Have you got a link?

ianven
    Free Member

you would be better off buying a second hand road bike and converting it to single speed. You’d have a better bike for your money

Stoner
    Free Member

Id probably be more comfortable going for something like this for £300:
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=67795

They do a diddy-wheeled one too for £275
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=67794

cozz
    Free Member

its equipped with “strap on pedals” !!!

ashfanman
    Free Member

It’s only a photo, but nothing looks too far off to me. Have you got a link?

I put a link in the original post.

Interesting chain position.

It seems they mirrored the photo – the ‘Kenda’ logos on the tyres are in reverse.

its equipped with “strap on pedals” !!!

Yes, the description is pretty amusing. The geo chart is also next to useless:

I’m sure it’s not going to be brilliant – it is only £250 after all – but the quality didn’t look too bad considering the price so I thought I’d see whether people more knowledgeable in road bikes could see anything obviously wrong with it.

bm0p700f
    Free Member

Well if all you have is £250 its better to buy that than a £250 geared bike. Even better to buy a second bike for £250.

DezB
    Free Member

The bars are too narrow, the components look extremely cheap – resin brake callipers? levers? Frame is hi-ten steel ie. shit. Likely to be damn heavy for a ss roadbike.
    The front end reminds me of kids’ bikes costing around £150.

Steve, Developer
    “ Pretty slick. I like the fact that that you can change from single gear to free-wheeling as you prefer. Nice one!

They don’t really know about bikes do they?

[edit]High street price £699. Bullshit of the highest order.

Go for something like Stoner posted or 2nd hand.

thomthumb
    Free Member

it’ll be no better than a £89 asda special.

if your happy spending 250 on a bike that will last 2 years if your lucky do it.

other wise get this, or a second hand pompino – much much better and around £300.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2010-CHARGE-PLUG-GRINDER-MEDIUM-FIXIE-SINGLESPEED-BIKE-OLIVE-CUSTOMER-RETURNS-/330670327221?pt=UK_Bikes_GL&hash=item4cfd7cc5b5

mrjmt
    Free Member

I’ve got a Trek Soho S for commuting on.

The S means its the singlespeed version not the belt drive hub gear thing with a coffee cup.

Bought it a couple of years ago in evans sale on a bit of a whim, its actually very nice to ride, my commute is 17.5 miles and its certainly comfy enough for that. Comes with Bonty bits on it too so spec is decent enough for the price.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Cheap flat-barred SS – thoughts?’ is closed to new replies.