Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Cheap CX tyres (32c) – recommendations
  • ourmaninthenorth

Specifically to go onto an old road bike (with centre-pull brakes) for mixed on and off road rides and commuting. Some puncture resistance would be good, as it’s fixed/SS and so removing wheels to change tubes is a PITA.

I rode my commuter along a slithery canal towpath last night, and the 100psi 24c tyres nearly chucked me in the drink a couple of times..!

Don’t need to be high quality, as the majority of commutes will be on the geared road bike (on tarmac).

Suggestions?

Oh, and what sort of pressures work well for combined road/off road – 60psi?

firestarter
    Free Member

schwalbe land crusiers , cheap , puncture proof (to an extent) and heavy what more could you want 😉

i run 80 psi in mine

cynic-al
    Free Member

Pressure depends on terrain – friends run 80-100psi.

Having experimented, I can confirm that cheap/heavy cx tyres will make your bike feel like it’s on treacle.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’ve some schwalbe CX pro tyres, the basic steel beeded version. Used once in the snow last year in the mistaken belief that the commute would be doable and not turn into an eppisode of Ray Mears Extream survival, yours for £16 posted for the pair.

ourmaninthenorth

thisisnotaspoon – are they 700c?

firestarter – landcruisers would make the bike weigh more than I have energy to move it..!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

yup, bought them for the tourer for the kind of commute you describe, before realising nothing works in the snow and commuting on the MTB.

thomthumb
    Free Member

continental twisters can be picked up cheap and i quite like them, although the profile is a bit square edged meaning that it squirms as you lean it over, my mate has racing ralphs and they are much rounder (but more expensive)

i’m currently using a touring tyre (michelin world tour 35c) and it is surprisingly capable even in mud.

pressures; i run 70 rear 60 front, i find lower the better off road.

oldgit
    Free Member

Landcruisers. I used mine on the crossers for two winters. And recently training for the three Peaks. A ride which was canal path, road and the Ridgeway.
    I didn’t think they rode as heavy as they actually are. And I run mine at 60-70PSI
    I have used CX Pros as well, but found the tread too aggressive to the point they seemed to dig in too much.

Robespierre
    Free Member

Don’t mean to hijack this post but I’m looking to retire the oem conti speed kings from my cross bike for the winter and i was on the point of asking for advice about a decent winter allround cx tyre. I’ll be doing quite a bit of canal towpath work and some less than taxing riding in the peaks. After some that rolls well enough not to dispirit me on the escape from Manchester, but won’t skate about as much as the speed kings in the slop.

aP
    Free Member

You can get vittoria cx tyres they seemed fairly fast. My current faves are tubus flex cubus but they’re a very different beast – they will be at 45-50psi for the 3 peaks.
    I tried conti cx tyres but they had some horrible handling quirks so they’re now in the loft. Panaracer seem to work ok I’ve been quite impressed by the cindercross.

woody2000

Some of these maybe?

ourmaninthenorth

Cheers for the extra input chaps.

I’ve used the CX Pros on my MTB (in 26″, hence asking TINAS the size!) and found them good, expecially in the mud.

TINAS – am happy to take them at £16 posted. Email me, and we can sort.

Cheers

Tom

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Cheap CX tyres (32c) – recommendations’ is closed to new replies.