Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Cheap commuter, how much is it worth ? Raleigh Chimera
  • weeksy

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/160701603034?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Looking for a cheapo bike to save me some fuel money next year, i have a 16 mile commute but don’t want to fit a set of spare wheels and use my 29er, as they’ll cost more to buy wheels and run drivetrains than it would cost me to get a cheapie machine and run into the ground etc…

Something like the above maybe ?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

How much? Not much more than the current bid……

weeksy

worth the current bid though or a waste of time and effort ?

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

whats going on with the stem?

weeksy

Dunno.. i know nothing about road bikes… lol.

markenduro
    Free Member

looks like the stem is one of those flexy adjustable angle POS ones.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

looks like an ahead/threadless one on a threaded steerer?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

looks like the stem is one of those flexy adjustable angle POS ones.

It is. They are horrific. Replace ASAP!

weeksy

i’m assuming we’re thinking “nah, don’t bother mate”

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Phhhh. I might buy that, but I’d ask to see it before I bid on it.

As it’s collection only I assume it’s local to you, so I’d contact the seller, try and view, then see if they’ll do a cash deal off Ebay.

It looks OK TBH (Stem aside) and would do the job well if you can get it cheap enough, IMO, but you NEED to make sure it’s not knackered first, if it needs a service, cables, new BB, bent wheels, headset etc etc.
    You don’t want to actually spend any money on it once you’ve bought it!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Better pic of a similar bike here (£150 is way OTT though)

http://www.northernpulse.co.uk/section108404.html

A quick google tells me it’s a £300 bike, so it’ll be half decent for that price. If I needed a bike, and that was close by, I’d consider it, yes. £75 tops though.

If you look hard enough, there’s always good stuff about, and COLLECTION ONLY is king!

theprawn
    Free Member

BSO

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

What?

thomthumb
    Free Member

get in halfords after christmas. normally some decent ish commuters for the £100-200 mark.

theprawn
    Free Member

BSO

Bike Shaped Object

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Ahh. I see. Nothing wrong with that bike though, will be more than fine as a commuter… Unless of course you’re a bike snob…. 🙂

theprawn
    Free Member

of course i’m a bike snob. i’m a snob about most things.

it’s not just the taking part.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I rest my case.

weeksy

thanks guys,

Yeah it’s local to me, hence being on my target list. I’ll see if i can shoot over today and have a peek and do a deal.

I’m a bike snob too.. But not with a commuter tool, that’s not for ‘fun’ just for saving cash and a bit of fittness in there too.

theprawn
    Free Member

you’ll soon regret having a crap bike.

weeksy

Why’s that ? it’s not like i’m setting records or doing Sportives. Road racing holds no interest to me at all. Riding and commuting on nice days appeals though.

was
    Free Member

Bear in mind you may or may not need to change the cassette, chain and cables, and true the wheels up on that.

DezB
    Free Member

I used to buy stuff like that to commute on. £100 tops, they do the job for a while.

A ‘wanted’ on the classifieds might get you something more worthwhile though.

theprawn
    Free Member

Road racing holds no interest to me at all. Riding and commuting on nice days appeals though.

no, but commuter racing will. you won’t even admit you’re doing it for a while, but you’ll soon realise that you are. you want to be able to go quick, keep with the flow of traffic and rag yourself getting to work and back so that you can feel the endorphins.

you might even manage to stick with that bike until the middle of the summer, but you’ll break eventually and want something basic but fast. a spesh allez for example. perfect commuter.

weeksy

Decent point mate yes. But it’s all relative… if i improve my time over a summer then that’s fine… but i won’t be racing anyone on my commute as it’s back B roads and i never see anyone on them.

Also trying to get a buy it now on this
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/220915270856?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

and maybe this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/320815679765?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

you’ll soon regret having a crap bike.

For sure. But there’s no way of telling if a bike is crap on price or brand alone. More cost does not automatically equal better, or more suitable for this purpose especially……,
    That Raleigh is a £300 bike with decent reliable components and a solid frame. It’s probably a nice bike, especially for the money
    Personally, for a commuter, I’d say your far more likely to regret using a nice bike after its been worn out, covered in grime and nicked, than you are going to regret using a cheap used bike…..

🙂

weeksy

outbid by £2 at £72.00

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Cheap commuter, how much is it worth ? Raleigh Chimera’ is closed to new replies.