Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 223 total)
  • Cheap Chinese carbon bars and titanium skewers. Any good?
  • I know there’s been a few threads on cheap Chinese carbon frames, and I think the general consensus was that they are good value for money and just as durable as the well known brands.

What about components though?

These two in particular.
    Carbon bars for £14.
    Titanium skewers for £7

Are they all made in the same factory and it’s just that these haven’t got a known brand name printed on them at the end of the production line, or are they some dodgy substandard rip off?

Worth buying or not? I mean, cheap bars and skewers, what could possibly go wrong?

pete68
    Free Member

I wouldn’t. 2 areas you really don’t want failing.

jameso

With your reputation? : )

Why bother.. I don’t wreck as much kit and I’d always use RWS or XT skewers and reputable bars.

beaconjon
    Free Member

I’ve been running a chinese road frame for the last 3 years as a training bike. I originally had a one piece bars/stem combo and had no issues. I changed it out for a longer stem.

Can’t really comment on mtb bars. Must admit, in the 2004 Enduro I’m building up I’ll get a set of Renthal’s, road riding is one thing but on the trails is something else.

Conan257
    Free Member

I believe i’ll be buying a Chinese carbon full sus next year when I get the pennies together… So I’m sold on the Chinese carbon front…

However, I probably wouldn’t get Chinese carbon bars… Doesn’t sit right in my head… But I don’t doubt that some big brand bars are made in teh same factory!

DT78
    Free Member

I just found some cracks in my rather expensive 3t carbon roadie bars so I don’t think failures are restricted to Chinese direct stuff 🙁

My LB rims (only thing I’ve got experience off) have been great so far and taken a beating.

nach
    Free Member

Don’t bother with those skewers, they have a really weak clamping force because of the way ti can stretch. I had some that seemed fine with a Spesh Hardrock, but when I put one on the back of a Blue Pig, on the second ride it kicked the back wheel out on a climb and bent the brake side dropout. I’d checked the skewer was tight before setting off, and would have been screwed if the frame wasn’t steel. Once I googled it, I found plenty of people who’d had similar experiences with various brands of them.

monkeychild
    Free Member

I believe i’ll be buying a Chinese carbon full sus next year when I get the pennies together… So I’m sold on the Chinese carbon front…

I’ll send a card to the hospital when it explodes 😀

marmaduke
    Free Member

I’ve got those exact skewers, they’re pretty naff. They come undone even if you clamp them down tight and they’re not made of titanium, it even says Aluminium on the packet when you get them.

jamj1974

Beaconjon. Check out the OnOne carbon bars that were on a thread yesterday – Knuckleball I think they were called. £39 for carbon bars with 5 year defect warranty seems good.

ampthill

I’d heard that titanium at any price was the wrong material for a skewer

It stretches more under tension so you can’t get enough load

Tech note

There is no way round this all Ti has the same Young’s Modulus and it always lower than the Young’s Modulus for steel

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Are they all made in the same factory and it’s just that these haven’t got a known brand name printed on them at the end of the production line, or are they some dodgy substandard rip off?

You have no idea.

So I’m sold on the Chinese carbon front…

There is not one Chinese Carbon Bike Part Factory, I love my Chinese made carbon frame, it came with a 5 year warranty, lots and lots of R&D and testing and a solid reputation from Santa Cruz.

plus-one

I too mocked Chinese carbon for years ….. Berating all who bought and used it….

Now I have

road wheels(farsports)

Cx frame (speeder cycling)

Carbon bars(hylix) drop ones on cx bike

All had serious use and mileage without a single issue 🙂

Keep splashing your cash on the carbon with a pretty name on it if it makes you feel better/look cooler 😆

jonba
    Free Member

I’ve been running those type of ti skewers (mine were from Taiwan).

Got a set on my road bike and on my cross bike. Had them on a few years with no issues. Raced, ridden, rough stuff roads and proper cross races.

Is the widespread fear of Chinese carbon failure based on real world evidence then, or is it just that they are not reassuringly expensive with a boutique brand name printed on it?
    Sudden catastrophic failure of a handlebar is potentially no worse than similar of a frame or fork, and threads on Chinese carbon frames always get replies from people happy with them.

I wasn’t sure about the wisdom of using titanium for skewers anyway, regardless of the manufacturer, so for the minimal weight saving, I think I’ll stick with steel.

JCL
    Free Member

700mm? Great for midgets and kids I guess.

firestarter
    Free Member

Not enduro enough for youjcl 😉

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’ve got those exact skewers, they’re pretty naff. They come undone even if you clamp them down tight and they’re not made of titanium, it even says Aluminium on the packet when you get them.

Presumably that’s the handles? Aluminum skewers would be pretty scary!

I had a pair of cheap (AEST?) skewers, they came with plastic cup washers rather than brass which deforemd as soon as you tightened the QR, so they got binned.

Bought KCNC ones from XCracer and they’ve been fine, apparently the Mt Zoom ones at half the price are even better but at the time i just wanted some good ones that worked so opted for the most expensive rather than risking it again.

bikeneil
    Free Member

Is the widespread fear of Chinese carbon failure based on real world evidence then, or is it just that they are not reassuringly expensive with a boutique brand name printed on it?

By some and report back!

Junkyard
    Free Member

is it just that they are not reassuringly expensive with a boutique brand name printed on it?

It will be a bot of both

Its an unknown leap in the dark

they could be he same as a boutique brand from the same machines or they could be made as cheap as can be in some backwoods factory with no QC

If i was to to do this I would use a big well know manufacturer or supplier of carbon parts for peanuts. That is not that supplier from what I can see

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

All I ever use on my road bike is Chinese carbon and I am still alive. Frames, bars, stems and seatposts all without bursting into flames.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

I had those skewers, binned them and went back to Shimano. Weak clamping force and mine had a cheap plastic bushing thing that fell to pieces.

Its an unknown leap in the dark

That’s the problem isn’t it?
    My inherent racial stereotyping tells me that any Chinese factory owner who makes components for the big name brands would have no moral objection to making a few extra without the logo and selling them on the cheap.
    Unfortunately, I suspect they would also have no objection to making another batch using poor quality materials that look superficially identical and selling them cheap too.

How do I know which is which?

JCL
    Free Member

Not enduro enough for youjcl

Yeah even 740mm feels tiny to me.

njee20
    Free Member

You’re just #SoEnduro, as you seem desperate to keep pointing out.

I hope you paint your 1100mm bars fluoro yellow for extra #Enduro points?

The best lightweight skewers I’ve tried were either Tune AC16/17 or Mt Zoom. The Tune ones have a proper internal cam, but they’re bloody expensive. The levers on the KCNCs were too short IMO, the Mt Zoom ones work very well.

amedias
    Free Member

Last 2 years of XC racing on unbranded Chinese carbon bars now, first year mostly rigid, then hardtail. Prior to that was using Easton carbon monkey bars, they cracked.

Chinese ones have not exploded and I’m still here posting about it

Amedias, which brand of unbranded bars?

amedias
    Free Member

Can’t remember, bought on eBay with some skepticism but I have as much faith in the as any other bar now

plus-one

Oh and a climax 130g weenie seatpost that’s taken a beating on my local roads without snapping and rogering me 😯

njee20
    Free Member

How wide do you want? There are loads of “Mr Ride”/Climax 660mm ones, 145g. So not crazy light, but only £40. I’m contemplating their seatposts.

beaconjon
    Free Member

I have a friend who rides XC and cross at a reasonable level. Both his XC and cross bikes are generic chinese frames and his cross wheels also. He’s had no issues with any of his kit.

Getting back to my chinese road frame and bars, it’s handled the ripped up tarmac on alpine descents 3 years on the trot and there are some big holes coming down the HC side of the Joux Plane.

I also run a 90mm tub chinese front on my Scott Plasma, it’s been a solid purchase at £150 delivered.

I don’t have tons of cash to throw at exotic gear so I make it stretch where I can.

The Chinese stuff is ok but I’m still reluctant about fitting some to my Enduro as I’m not sure they’ll survive a half decent off, saying that, a nice light ally pair probably wouldn’t fair much better I guess.
    Undecided.

beaconjon
    Free Member

To the OP, I’ll be interested in your views on the bars should you get them.

br
    Free Member

I’ve run an MT Zoom Ti skewer for years in the rear. Never been a problem.

JCL
    Free Member

You’re just #SoEnduro, as you seem desperate to keep pointing out.

No. Just with the times.

njee20
    Free Member

Aaah, so you’re a fashion victim? Presumably you’re using a Yardstick bar or equivalent? What did you praise before the industry told you that wider was better?

andyv
    Free Member

Using exotic carbon bars on my Lurcher rigid, which gets a beating. No issues with instant death whatsoever.

Also took a punt on some fully built whells from chinese ebay seller CN Carbon. They’re really rather good too.

AndyV

Stevet1
    Free Member

This quick disassembling carbon fiber handlebar is easy to use,and one of the best gifts to your friends
    The carbon fiber handlebar is made of high quality carbon fiber.So that you can use it relieved
    With the special design,the carbon fiber handlebar can save for a long time

Well thats me sold.

amedias
    Free Member

Well thats me sold.

Can you write convincing marketing spiel in Chinese?

aracer
    Free Member

The best lightweight skewers I’ve tried were either Tune AC16/17 or Mt Zoom. The Tune ones have a proper internal cam, but they’re bloody expensive. The levers on the KCNCs were too short IMO, the Mt Zoom ones work very well.

I’ve got some Extralite ones which seem pretty good. I also have KCNC ones on the roadie where they’re fine, but wouldn’t use them on a MTB.

njee20
    Free Member

I’ve got some Parts of Passion ones which are obscenely expensive, but utterly useless, I’d avoid them!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 223 total)

The topic ‘Cheap Chinese carbon bars and titanium skewers. Any good?’ is closed to new replies.