Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Cheap Cheap Cheap 2nd hand Full Sus opinions
  • TrentSteel
    Free Member

Toying with buying a 2nd hand FS in the new year, would need to be very cheap £400-£500, as it’d be just be a silly play bike for lazy rides now and again so can’t justify spending wads.

Thinking buying complete would be the cheapest option.
    Would like 120-150mm of travel.
    Fairly bombproof design (less maintenance worries)
    2006-08 model as I don’t want to have to increase the chance of spending alot fixing/replacing knackered shocks & drivetrains

Looking through ebay for ideas it seems that the best depreciating name brand would be 1st Kona (Dawg, Coiler) 2nd Carrera Banshee or if lucky a Prophet.

Anyone got any other ideas?

Not too worried about having the most efficient pedaling design, just don’t want anything too heavy or too long travel as I’m not gnarr (no full face helmet required)

JonR
    Free Member

Buy now. The second hand market is very depressed as everyone sheds their full sussers for hardtail winter bikes and the weather isn’t conducive to anybody lusting after hills through the office window.

z1ppy

2nd had full susser’s seem to have dropped there prices over the summer (or is that just the ones I watch), you’ll get a Prophet frame & shock for less tha £300 now offa fleabay. Though I’d say you probably going to have to service the shock on anything you buy, just factor in that cost.

z1ppy

hmm re-reading this you looking for a full bike for £4-500, it shouldn’t hard pushed to find something decent. Look for the older style frames, as in one that have been superceeded. Like the Quad marins (think Whyte 46) or even older Specialized, decent bikes but that are ‘old’ hat apparently. Ignore the marketing, these bikes perform brilliantly, but to sell new bikes the manufacturer have dumped the design.

The problem will be that even though the frames work fine, the kit attached will for the most part be worn out..

peachos
    Free Member

old heckler

PJM1974
    Free Member

As others have said, you’ll need to factor in the cost of a shock service. If the shock body is knackered, this will add significantly to this cost.

Having said that, you should find some great bargains out there. I quite like the look of a Prophet myself, although if you’re a little less fussy you may be able to find a Stumjumper or Enduro of 2005-6 vintage, or maybe a Giant Trance / Reign. I’ve ridden a Trance and rate it very highly indeed.

Otherwise, 2008 Marin 140 frames go for silly money and I can say from personal experience that these are also excellent frames.

TrentSteel
    Free Member

Not fussy really, only listed a Kona as first choice as these seem to go cheap 2nd hand and seem to be a pretty bombproof design. A Giant would be great but I’m not sure I could find an ok one for £400 complete.

Not thought about Marin, I’ll have a look.

I do like the look of Prophets though…

PJM1974
    Free Member

I’ve seen a 2008 Wolf Ridge/Attack Trail frame on the STW classifieds for £350 earlier this year…

shoei
    Free Member

Ive got a KHS XC-604 that i keep meaning to stick on the classifieds. ’09 model, used 4 times off road. In excellent condition.
    Will get round to doing an advert tonight me thinks.

TimP
    Free Member

I have just been out on my £350 GT I-Drive (full bike). 2005 vintage but all in full working order, and all I could afford.

bigdonx
    Free Member

Got one of these http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/fs-swap-pex-scott-genius-mc50-5-travel-full-suss-frame-medium-1
    which comes with a fully serviced shock……..

I know you are after a complete bike , but if your interested……..email me and make me an offer that suits your budget.

Cheers,
    bigdonx

PS apologies for the lack of useful input other than trying to sell you something, but just thought it may be the kind of thing you’re looking for.

Bregante

Prophet frame just appeared on classifieds for £250 ( not mine)

kimbers

if you can get one of the 08 onward dawgs they have beter standover and are scandium so lighter
    i got a mint condition frame for 300quid on fleabay a few months back and its awesome

highclimber
    Free Member

I have a Iron Horse MK3 comp 2009 with Recons, mavic rims and hope brakes. for £550 if you fancy?

email in profile to request pictures.

regards

namastebuzz
    Free Member

I have a Iron Horse MK3 comp 2009 with Recons, mavic rims and hope brakes. for £550

Lovely bike and a pretty good buy – if only the frames didn’t crack due to duff welding at the factory (which no longer exists so no frame warranty).

Still worth a punt at that price perhaps?

wwaswas

Lionheart – you’ll break the internet if we start having recursive topics on here.

Bregante

Whoa, getting dizzy there following that last link

I_Ache
    Free Member

I just picked up an 06 Enduro frame for £200. Cant wait to get back riding an FS but not looking forward to trying to sort the DHX Air out.

Bloody brilliant frame at a dirt cheap price.

jimjimthehumanbin2
    Free Member

I have a prophet for sale 🙂 probably the one mentioned earlier. give us an email and i can send you more pics if you want.

afrothunder88

If it’s not too rude, I have a 150mm Carrera Banshee with an upgraded shock for sale, see: http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/fs-150mm-fs-frame-cheap-140mm-fork-40mm-stem

Cheers.

TrentSteel
    Free Member

I’m 6’1″ so that any frame would have to be a Large(Prophet & Scott in the classifieds are out)

Ok so current potentials

Kona Dawg
    Cannondale Prophet
    Marin ???
    Spesh ???
    GT I-drive

I suppose I could go the frame only route and just spend time looking for the right deals, I have spare brakes, gears, contact points. Its just 2nd hand wheels & LT forks are harder to find cheaply.

Anyway back on topic, I’m not going to be buying this any time this year as I have to get the budget approved and have spent too much already this year.

Name some bikes people…

Lionheart
    Free Member

If cheap to buy and cheap (easy) to run/maintain then
    Prophet
    Older Heckler
    …..
    I would stick to the single pivots, some of those above can become costly to keep in bearings.

kaesae
    Free Member

The older frames that I like are the Giant VT’s the Spcialized Enduro’s from 2003 and 2005 and also the 2005 onwards enduro 150. The Kona Dawg’s are also quite good frames when fully serviced.

If you buy a whole bike it gets tricky, realistically you’ll need to check and more likely than not service, everything from the brakes to the forks also the frames bearings should be checked as well as the rear shock.

If you lived locally I would give you a hand to source and check what ever you buy. Then build the bike up, but since you live in England you’re a bit too far away.

My advice is buy all the parts you want and build yourself a bike, that way if you have to make a claim on feebay or check out parts when you go to view them. You don’t have to check everything on the spot and won’t potentially make a mistake that could be costly.

A whole bike simply means a lot more servicing and a lot more to check!

There are two professional traders on ebay that brake up bikes all the time and sell them. You might be able to buy a good condition used drive train from them.

Stan_Dingup
    Free Member

Picked up this frame for £170 at the start of the year including seatpost, BB and chainset.

Could be an option if you can find one. Reviewed very well and I’m very pleased… 😆

LapSteel
    Free Member

Wow that’s a massive bike stand…are you 9’6″?

Northwind

You should have a lot of choice at that price. Seen a couple of recent model FSRs on our local Gumtree for £500 just lately, that’d be hard to argue with I reckon even though you’d have to budget for bearings. Or it’d get a very nice Idrive 5 with cash to spare.

coogan
    Free Member

everyone sheds their full sussers for hardtail winter bikes

Am I the only one who rides a full suss and a hardtail all year round without resorting to this bollocks?

Stan_Dingup
    Free Member

@LapSteel

The stand’s actually even bigger than it looks. I’ve had to dig a hole outside my garage to place it in and work on my bike on tip toe with a periscope strapped to my forehead.

HTH

😆

HansRey

marin quake 7.3.. perhaps a little too much for your needs. I could part with it for £450. Can supply with Lyric solo airs too…

TrentSteel
    Free Member

Stan_Dingup – Member

Picked up this frame for £170 at the start of the year including seatpost, BB and chainset.

Could be an option if you can find one. Reviewed very well and I’m very pleased…

Wow good bargain, Boardman frame added to list.

Ok after some of the comments I may start thinking about buying frame separately.

thanks

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Cheap Cheap Cheap 2nd hand Full Sus opinions’ is closed to new replies.