Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Cheap chainsaw
  • giantx4
    Free Member

Anyone bought a cheapo petrol chainsaw?? £70-80 type?? Any good? Just for chopping logs for stove every now & again?

Gunz
    Free Member

I bought a Macllan for about £110 that has cut its way through about 9 tons of wood over the last three years with no problems whatsoever. I always use the Stihl oil in it though over the cheaper stuff and er on the side of an ever so slightly rich mix.

5thElefant
    Free Member

I had a cheqp one off http://www.trueshopping.co.uk which is still going strong after 3 years (and chopped up enough trees to make 8 years worth of logs). I’ve only just replaced it with a posher one because the euro rate made German Makitas too attractive to resist.

globalti
    Free Member

Yes I bought a Ryobi for something like £140 about 5 years ago and it works fine and hasn’t broken, just like my Ryobi battery drill.

giantx4
    Free Member

Woahh good to hear… Dont wanna spend a fortune but dont want one made of cheese either!! … Will check em out

Andy-R

Gunz – Member
    I always use the Stihl oil in it though over the cheaper stuff and er on the side of an ever so slightly rich mix.

If you mean a higher proportion of oil to petrol then that’s actually a slightly weaker mix, unless you jet up to suit.

diz

If you have access to a costco they had some earlier today!

Costco also have a very long returns policy should you ever have a problem with it.

King-ocelot
    Free Member

I’ve got one you can have for £40 collection Chester. Bought to remove some trees and now gathering dust.

Edit it’s not petrol

geoffj

Anyone bought a cheapo petrol chainsaw?? £70-80 type?? Any good? Just for chopping logs for stove every now & again?

I’d steer clear of the uber cheap unbranded stihl copies. ryobi and branded ones from b&q etc are all good for what you need.

andyl
    Free Member

Noticed one on offer when in Toolstation the other day. Can’t remember the make or price though.

Mugboo

I’ve got a Trueshopping one running an Oregon chain. It needed a bit of fettling to get it running sweetly but it starts well and cuts like a chainsaw..

PePPeR

Screwfix have one for about £45 electric which means its far quieter in a residential area.

stumpy01

PePPeR – Member

Screwfix have one for about £45 electric which means its far quieter in a residential area.

If that’s the Titan one, then I’ve got the power pruner version which is basically an 8″ chainsaw on a long extendable pole.
    The oil feed didn’t work on the first one I had, but they replaced it with no issues. The second one works fine and seems like a half decent bit of kit for the money.
    I’m sure it won’t stand up to professional use, but for occasional pruning of the trees in the back garden, I’m well impressed with it. Reviews on the Screwfix site are all pretty favourable.

schrickvr6
    Free Member

I recommended the Titan one on a recent thread, I wouldn’t spend more for occasional use.

samuri
    Free Member

I’ve got one you can have for £40 collection Chester. Bought to remove some trees and now gathering dust.

Edit it’s not petrol

I’ll probably have it. What model is it?

trail_rat
    Free Member

another vote for electric.

you wont be bobbing off into public areas with your petrol saw to be harvesting fall without your tickets and public liability.

i have a makita electric – it works nice

elzorillo
    Free Member

I bought one for £49 from Netto when it was still about.. it lasted about two hours. Decided to up my budget a bit and bought a qualcast from argos for £129.. Turns out its the exact same model as the one from Netto with a different sticker on.. Still working though after LOTS of use.

As someone else said.. watch out for ‘cheap’ stihl copies.

trail_rat
    Free Member

many of the cheap stihls dinnae have working or even appear to HAVE a anti kick back brake……

DANGER DANGER HIGH VOLTAGE !

br
    Free Member

+1 electric

Had a cheap petrol one and it was a pain (starting) – got an Aldi electric one and it just works.

DrP

I can second the Titan electric one – £45 from screwfix – great for garden logging and big tree pruning.

Just remember, if you think it’s broken and won’t turn on, it’s not the fuse, or the power tripping, but probably the fact you left the kickback brake on…

DrP

giantx4
    Free Member

Yeah re the elec saws,i had 2 ryobis & the 2nd one was a replacement for the first one that melted.. The 2nd one smoked itself too…. No more electric for me thanks… Petrol is the future.. Waiting on some funds then gunna get a cheapish one as good reviews from everyone ;))

King-ocelot
    Free Member

Edit it’s not petrol

I’ll probably have it. What model is it?

B&Q 1800w one. It was one if those things I needed once but will nice use again.

samuri
    Free Member

Splendid. Right, I should be in the Wirral on Saturday, I can nip over on the way home early evening, you around then?

email me on samur2@hotmail.com and we can sort out the details. Ta.

trail_rat
    Free Member

“Yeah re the elec saws,i had 2 ryobis & the 2nd one was a replacement for the first one that melted.. The 2nd one smoked itself too…. No more electric for me thanks… Petrol is the future..”

because that makes total sense……. like saying i had a fs26 halfords full sus bike and saying all full sus bikes are crap we need to stick to hardtails…

for a given price – circa 100 quid id much rather have a quality (makita or such) electric over a cheap petrol.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Get some chaps too. Legs are pretty useful.

tetchypete
    Free Member

+1 on the safety gear, even the lowest powered electric chainsaw will slice through your leg like a hot knife through butter.

samuri
    Free Member

Just a reminder fella. The weekend grows near.
    Give me a bump on samur2@hotmail.com

ta.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Cheap chainsaw’ is closed to new replies.