Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Cheap cars
  • jambourgie
    Free Member

I need a cheap car. I’m talking really cheap. Bangernomics-sub-£250 cheap. 🙂

Any ideas on where to start looking/recommended models etc?

Cheers!

hot_fiat

Ah. Emergency cashpoint car. eBay or gumtree. It might be worth your while going to a proper auction to see what trade-ins dealers are getting rid of.

Avoid good makes. At that price there’ll be things wrong you won’t want to think about. Go for something unloved: nasty 1.1 Saxo, Nissan micra or a corsa. The three corsa Bs we took on the crumball each cost less than £250. We got 2500 miles out of at least two of them. Granted the third had to be disposed of in Switzerland but that want really it’s fault.

TheFlyingOx

We got a £150 X-reg Clio last year as an emergency car when our old Jeep shat its innards during a trip down South to see family. Cheap as chips to run, service and tax. We’ve done 11000 miles so far, and the only additional cost has been a refurbished alternator at £150 inc. labour.

There are LOTS of unloved Clios out there, so much so that I think we paid over the odds for ours.

jambourgie
    Free Member

Used to have a Clio years ago. Great little car. Drove like a go-kart 🙂

Good idea!

matt_outandabout

Asian, old biffer owner. Don’t faff with what model, more who the previous owner was and how well they looked after it.
    (corolla/yaris or almera or micra etc)

cliffyc
    Free Member

My little sister has just got a 02 Peugeot 308 HDI for £150,couple selling it were embarassed it had done 130k so had priced it low. She sold her old Pug 306 for £110,so new one was only £40. Result.

PePPeR

Cheap old cars tend to be French.

Renault, Citroën and Peugeot all provide good banger motoring.

Also smaller cars tend to hold their value better than the bigger ones.

1-shed
    Free Member

Have a look on retro rides.

br
    Free Member

Cheap to buy, cheap to run or both?

jambalaya
    Free Member

Go for something unloved: nasty 1.1 Saxo, Nissan micra or a corsa

Nissan Micra isn’t nasty – quite good little cars

As per @br’s post cheap to buy or un ? Old big cars tend to be cheap to buy as they are heavy on fuel so un-wanted (@PePPeR I see has posted the same).

hot_fiat

may not be nasty, but so easy to un-love:

iamroughrider
    Free Member

if it’s super nasty and embarassing make it into a ratcar. Although this may make it more so depending on your view. 15 cans of grey primer maybe and some time. Some colour on the wheels sorted.

car

emsz
    Free Member

I’m learning to drive in a Clio. It’s a 1.5 diesel it’s done a million miles!! Cost my dad 180. Dark blue with alloys its so cool I love it!!! I actually gave it a hug yesterday

iamroughrider
    Free Member

thats the spirit emsz.

milky1980
    Free Member

The best car I’ve ever owned was a Citroen AX 1.0 (actually 954cc!) Spree that I bought from a place called Dan’s Bangers in the Valleys. 4 speed box, rattled like hell and leaned at the slightest whiff of turning the steering wheel. Refused to die that thing. Had it for 2 years then passed it to my sister in uni for a year. Took side-swiping a taxi and jumping speed bumps with four passengers in it (lightest 14 stone!) to finally kill it.

Was actually quite sad to see it go despite it being horrid in every way apart from being good on fuel!!

Plenty on Ebay for under £100, hmmm…

garage-dweller

Pug 106 or 306 must be in that territory
    At that price though the only things I would buy on would be condition and mot /tax length plus how easily I could reach everything in the engine bay / as little complexity as possible.

jambourgie
    Free Member

Cheap to buy, cheap to run or both?

Cheap to buy is the priority at the moment.

fingerbike
    Free Member

Lived in a house that shared a 1987 Honda Accord that went to just over 300,000 abused miles before the gearbox started to go, we were driving it (auto) with it slipping completely in 2nd before reaching high revs and dropping heavily into 3rd near the end. Think it was bought for about £300/£400.

I’d be looking at Honda, Toyota, Nissan.

Gumtree would be best bet i’d say.

Rscott
    Free Member

1 word rover.

you can pick them up tax and tested for under £200, learn to change a head gasket and your sorted.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Cheap cars’ is closed to new replies.