Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Cheap 5Kw woodburner with rear outlet?
  • djambo
    Free Member

I’m looking to fit a replacement woodburner in my fireplace. Looking for something on the cheap end of the scale with a rear fitting flue (thats whats currently there).

Can anyone recommend a cheap stove that works well? I’ve heard mixed things about ebay/builders merchant ones…

Stoner
    Free Member

I wouldnt touch a clarke/machinemart.

freddiest

Firefox 5. I’ve got one and it’s decent enough although the firebox is a bit small. Can’t complain for the price though.

moe_szyslak
    Free Member

Are their burns that bad? I have to say (without specific experience of their burners) that Clarke stuff is pretty ok. Sure its normally ugly, and its not pro quality, but if treated carefully I have always found it to be ok.

OK, the colour is also bad (although I assume that their burners are not red).

hammyuk
    Free Member

Been in a couple of places with Clarkes ones in.
    OK – they are ultimately as controllable as some of the stupidly more expensive ones and they take a little more maintenance but the amount of heat those things chuck out is insane!
    I’ve seen much, much more expensive ones that give off nowhere near the heat they do.

Hoff

I’ve got a Coseyfire 5 in the workshop which is OK for £200ish. It’s multi-fuel, I’d go for the log burning only option next time. Small but pretty efficient. You can certianly see the quality difference between it & the Stovax I have in the house.

Coseyfire

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I’ve heard mixed things about ebay/builders merchant ones…

Alternatively, there’s plenty of ex display, recon and 2nd hand on ebay. Someone with common sense shouldn’t go far wrong ie stick to recognised names and with rear outlet. To get something really nice, cheap, what you’re looking for, you probably have to be prepared to travel to collect and you’ve probably now missed the seasonal boat on the really cheap auctions.
    In May I got an ex showroom display £1250 Westfire for £695 on ebay. Had to drive about 60 miles to collect.
    Whilst I was searching (last winter) there were 2nd hand/recon Squirrels and Brunels etc going for around £300+/- depending on condition.
    I get the impression that reconditioning one yourself is pretty straightforward

sharkbait
    Free Member

I’ve bought three Clearview stoves off ebay and reconditioned each one – is pretty simple stuff and they look like new afterwards.
    The only thing you need to watch out for is cast iron stoves which can and do crack – difficult to repair and probably best avoided.

lesgrandepotato

Second the option to go used. Just picked up a two year old firebellly fb1 for 125quid needs a glass and some firebricks but it’all be easily sub 200quid all in

lesgrandepotato

Made in Halifax i’lol check to see if it’s made of recycled orange 5’s..

spooky_b329

Firefox 5 is much more roomy inside with the woodburning conversion kit.

And I sold the secondhand riddling grate, fret bars and ash pan for about £60 which covered the cost of the conversion kit 🙂

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Cheap 5Kw woodburner with rear outlet?’ is closed to new replies.