Home Forums Bike Forum PSA – Cheap 29er Full sus frame….

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • PSA – Cheap 29er Full sus frame….
  • granny_ring
    ampthill

And a shock lieing around?

granny_ring

Well yes, £60-70 on a shock and it’s still a good price is it not……?

addy6402

They seem to have a Fox Triad that fits for £74…….

bigshep
    Free Member

Cheers for the heads up.

Just bought a 23″ frame and the cheap Triad shock.

Just a quick question, where will I get the bushings to fit both together?
    Or will they work as is?

Looks to be a cheap way into a FS 29er…

Now to look at reviews to see if they’re any good :oops:

taxi25
    Free Member

Mojo should be able to sort you out bushings/ spacers for the shock.

granny_ring

At that price bigshep don’t think you can go wrong. It might be worth having a chat with Loco[/url] about the Triad shock and if it’s the right tune for your frame and get it tweaked by him if not.
    He’s also cheaper for the bushings than Mojo.

njee20
    Free Member

Just bought a 23″ frame and the cheap Triad shock.

I assume you’re a giant?

steve_b77
    Free Member

Being called ‘bigshep’ I’d assume he was rather large

ampthill

The shock price seems more amazing than the frame. I assumed they cost hundreds

MSP

I thought the triad was a cheap oem shock, They have probably broke the bike into bits to make more money :wink:

Don’t forget to but a rear 142×12 axle as well.

bigshep
    Free Member

I assume you’re a giant?

6’8” 8)

Going to get a set of Hope Enduros for it so I’ll get the rear adaptor at the same time.

Cheers all, looks like it’s going to be fun

devash
    Free Member

The Triad’s a Specialized OEM shock that used to come on some Stumpjumpers / Cambers. Not the best but not the worst. Can’t go wrong at that price though.

granny_ring

Isn’t it like an RP3?

boxelder

Better than RP3 I reckon – simple switch from open to pro-pedal to lock out. RP3 has on/off plus fiddly damping level knob (which you fight with to go from lock out to pro-pedal)

alandavidpetrie79
    Free Member

Going to get a set of Hope Enduros for it so I’ll get the rear adaptor at the same time.

You will also need the 12mm axle itself.

I recently got a frame with a 142 x 12mm back end, but it came with one.

I believe there are 3 different types…..

granny_ring

I dont think so box, the RP3 I had was just a 3 position lever left, central & right which was really easy to use. The one your talking about is the RP23?

granny_ring

What otsdr said, and I got a spare mech hanger at the same time.

khani
    Free Member

The shock is a rebadged Fox RPL, open, propedal, locked, Fox made em before Spesh used em and the Spesh ones only have a different sticker on the can,
    I’ve got one on my retired HL 5spot and it worked well, much better than the OE performance CTD shock you get on most bikes nowadays,
    This is it on the red one,

mos

Was interested in these for a minute but even the 23″ frame has quite a short top tube.

martinxyz
    Free Member

I was told they weren’t allowed to be shipped to the UK. Thanks bike discount!

bigshep
    Free Member

I was told they weren’t allowed to be shipped to the UK. Thanks bike discount!

News to me, they’ve taken the money and not said anything like that…

Still not had an email to say it’s been shipped though, did you speak to them or order and get told?

williamnot
    Free Member

I bought one of these from bike discount last september. about £400 including shock iirc. its a lovely bike

otsdr
    Free Member

The rule of thumb is “if you can order it, they will ship it”. They don’t ship whole bikes to Romania, for instance, and if you try you get a nice message before checkout.
    They seem to ship everything to UK, except for a couple areas:
    http://www.bike-discount.de/en/versandkosten/tabelle

Also, frames do not qualify as ‘bulky goods’. If you do ask their support ‘isn’t it true that I cannot order X or Y to my location’ they will invariably agree with whatever you say without actually checking.

Northwind

They did have an exclusion on some other Cube clearance frames late last year, it wasn’t because of bulk or anything, some dealer/manufacturer agreement

granny_ring

I bought one of these last year and was shipped ok.

nemesis
    Free Member

By my reckoning the 23″ is not much taller (maybe 1.5cm) than my 21″ 29ers and it’s about 20mm shorter. Shame as I think it’s just too short for the size.

Hadn’t realised that it didn’t come with the rear axle which if it’s £25 is starting to make the frame less of a bargin. Are there any cheaper axles you can use?

mezimov

Some very cheap hardtail 29er frames on there too. I’ve just coughed up somwhere approaching £53 for one of these:

http://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/cube-ltd-29-frame-green-n-blue-233720/wg_id-276

Worth a punt for a project, assuming you’re 6-feet plus.

Andy

Bottom bracket housing: Pressfit 92mm

Ahhm oot :(

nemesis
    Free Member

I have the same (well BB86 but that’s just narrower) in my CX bike and it’s been faultless…

Andy

(saves clubbers comment for future “My press-fit BB is goosed – what can I do?” thread ;) )

stayhigh

Hmmm, gets me thinking.

Says the frame weight is 3kg which seems a bit portly?

granny_ring

It’s around the same or slightly lighter than a Whyte T129 frame I think.
    So more ‘trail’ than ‘xc’ I’d say.

granny_ring

If anyone is looking for some wheels that will fit this frame, I have some Spank Oozy wheels for sale in vgc.
    Email me.

granny_ring

Cancel that keeping the wheels!

emac65
    Free Member

Anyone got one of these frames & found somewhere that has the headset in stock ? :|

williamnot
    Free Member

I got a cane creek headset from bike24 for it

jamesy01
    Free Member

Lovely bike, rides exceptionally well up and down, but do beware…the headset and X12 rear do start to bump up the price of your ‘cheap’ frame.
    Mine is built up with Hope Enduros, 2013 Reba RL’s, SLX groupset, XT chain cassette, 1 x 10, Reverb and IIRC is around the 30lb mark.
    Bought mine as a frameset for £550 but ditched the fork and headset it was supplied with before riding it.
    Gratuitous photo…

*The third wheel may or may not belong to williamnot aboves bike ;-)

emac65
    Free Member

Finally got mine fully built up this week, very impressed ! Went for an XT group set, 2×10, 130mm Revs, Pro 2’s on Arch rims, Reverb, Thompson stem & Easton carbon bars. Haven’t weighed it(never weigh any bike), but it doesn’t feel or ride heavy. Was a bit concerned how the 130mm fork would be,but it suits the bike fine & still climbs great.

Full build was a bit over 2k, but the frame is pretty much throw away at that price, & as I was planning on building up a similar type bike anyway I thought I’d take a chance on a cheap frame..

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘PSA – Cheap 29er Full sus frame….’ is closed to new replies.