Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • Cheam / Epsom / Sutton
  • linchpin
    Free Member

I know I’m only a stones throw from Surrey Hills but can anyone from this neck of the woods recommend any trails or locations for an evening mtb ride that doesn’t involve getting in the car? I live in Cheam and would like to be able to go for a hack from the house after work. 😀

swdan
    Free Member

Book marking for future reference. I’m the other side of non-such park and to be honest, mainly just ride my gravel/adventure/whatever you want to call it bike now

kilo

Heading from that neck of the woods we sort of head towards Horton Park as an escape route, but tbh most of the time on cx bikes. This is the sort of route
    Biggish loop

zippykona

Pop into the gift shop on the corner and talk to the nice man in there. He knows!
    There’s tons of riding around here. It all starts at the top of Sandy Lane. Or you can do a quick blast around the prison via Banstead Downs.

jimdubleyou

Takes me an hour to ride from Twickenham to Box Hill. 30 mins for you?

There’s some ok stuff there and on the west side of the A24 between Leatherhead and Mickleham.

http://labs.strava.com/heatmap/#15/-0.34083/51.27372/blue/bike

linchpin
    Free Member

Brilliant, thanks everyone! Particularly the top of Sandy Lane tip – I hadn’t ventured up there (other than to drool at the houses). Would that be your gift shop then Zippykona?

zippykona

Yes ,there’s normally some sort of bike outside . Today it’s a fat bike.
    This is my long ride home.
    Check out my ride on Strava: https://www.strava.com/activities/1067634311/shareable_images/map_based?hl=en-US&v=1499199115

linchpin
    Free Member

I have clocked the odd bike parked there. That is a very long commute! I will have to have a go at that route, thanks.

aP
    Free Member

How about a group gravel-faffing ride at some point?

swdan
    Free Member

Yeah up for that AP, currently have a new baby so time is in short supply but would be keen. Think I’ve expressed an interest before but never been able to make the proposed dates

swdan
    Free Member

Zippykona, I’ve been meaning to call in a say hi for ages, still not got around to it!

linchpin
    Free Member

Yes I’m definitely up for a meet up, but currently struggling for time with 3 kids and numerous weekend commitments (hence the need for very local riding). Will come along if I can. I tend to be able to find more time in the winter.

MTB-Idle
    Free Member

I live in Ewell which is half way between Cheam and Epsom and have ridden with Zippykona many times.

Track 40 on Belmont/Banstead Downs is my recommendation for a quick spin. Avoid it if it’s too damp tho, chalk based and sketchy as **** or claggy.

Other than that then it’s Epsom Downs and over to Ashtead and Box hill

linchpin
    Free Member

Do any of you know of any bmx/pump tracks anywhere? I would like to take my boy to one.

aP
    Free Member

We did a quick route the other Wednesday evening from Cafe Rouge in Esher across to Princes Coverts, Ashtead Common and then back through Horton Park and then the Hogsmill. It took us 90 minutes to do that and then be sipping the first pint in the New Inn, Ham 😉
    For something a bit longer, such as, say, a Saturday morning ride, or afternoon, or early evening then this loop could be extended out to Mickelham/ Denbies/ Ranmore/ Effingham Junction/ Downside or varieties thereon.
    Can’t do anything for next few weeks – but should be towards the end of August?

zippykona

Linch pin.There’s the non such jumps but that’s all fenced off and proper scary stuff.
    Track 40 should amuse most abilities in the dry.

aP
    Free Member

Do any of you know of any bmx/pump tracks anywhere? I would like to take my boy to one.

There’s one just west of Dorking West station, alternatively jumps just off the end of Gatley Avenue, West Ewell?

zippykona

The first time I rode through nonsuch an old boy stopped me and told me about the jumps.
    He showed me where they were and expected me to show him some loop the loops.
    One look at them and I politely went on my way!
    The leatherhead ones are an amazing feat of engineering.

linchpin
    Free Member

Yes I found the jumps in Nonsuch! I was thinking something a little tamer than that! Cheers for the info. Would never have found all this stuff without your help.

zippykona

If you go up from Belmont bus garage there’s the 40 mph sign.Follow the track on your left. It’s twisty turny but fun and you will come out on the bomb holes.
    Obviously it’s better ridden the other way with gravity.

zippykona

If you work in Cheam your commute looks like this.
    There was a big white koi over a foot xnd a half long but he died recently .

swdan
    Free Member

Zippykona, is that Track 40 you’re describing above? Also, how cheeky is it? Is it generally accepted as a bike track?

zippykona

Track 40 is totally legit. Can’t imagine anyone would walk on it. It’s so twisty that you won’t be going fast and the bomb holes are wide open so no issues there.
    Definitely avoid the bomb holes in the wet though.

akira

Summer holidays and three kids means not much time for riding but I’ll keep an eye on this for future reference. Epsom based.

swdan
    Free Member

Cool cheers. My mountain bike is firmly at the back of the garage and only comes out with the child seat on it at the moment but I’m noting all of this in the hope to get out at some point soon

linchpin
    Free Member

You guys are describing my existence. That was the reason I started this thread. I need to take the opportunity to go for a spin in the evening because my weekends are **cked. 😥

akira

Been getting out on the road bike at weekends currently. So cheeky road rides are an option if people fancy it also.

swdan
    Free Member

Haha, I know what you mean. I have a nearly 3 year old and a 4 week old so at the moment so bike riding is way way down the list!

zippykona

I can show you some routes that will only take an hour if that helps.

akira

Zippykona, might take you up on that after the summer holidays.

linchpin
    Free Member

Sounds good me too.

carbosteve
    Free Member

I live Epsom, often do a quick 2hr ride up to Mickleham trails and back. Would be up for an evening ride over the next few weeks (also on School holiday duties), if anyone fancies it.

notmyrealname
    Free Member

Not sure if it’s any use to you but Sigma Sport did a gravel ride from the shop a couple of weeks back and this was the route they used.

https://www.strava.com/routes/9351469

I think I read that they’re doing another one on the 7th or 9th of August if you fancied it.

medders
    Free Member

I live in Walton on the Hill and this (assuming the link works) is my local off road loop.

http://www.strava.com/activities/1075652713

Straight from my front door and takes c.1.5 hours depending on conditions. Obv. can be joined anywhere and for Epsom/Ewell folks maybe join at Langley vale area. It is fun, fast, easy to navigate and could be ridden on a CX bike (I don’t)

Ignore the little detour on Banstead heath – there are some cheeky trails that I was going to ride but just as I started I had my second puncture of the ride, threw my toys and nursed the bike home.

Incorporates some of Zippy’s route (btw Zippy you are missing a lovely bit of track that runs adjacent to Walton heath golf course rather than the straight route across the field and then Banstead Heath – highly recommended alternative).

tonyja
    Free Member

There’s loads round there, you can get out through the small holdings behind Wallington to Oaks Park, the go around the prison to Track 40, cross the road at Nork and even find yourself on the old roman road in Epson race course. You can follow that all the way to the NDW at Boxhill or turn off at Headley. Great area for riding

NormalMan

notmyrealname – Member
    Not sure if it’s any use to you but Sigma Sport did a gravel ride from the shop a couple of weeks back and this was the route they used.

https://www.strava.com/routes/9351469

I’m not on Strava so can’t seem to zoom in on the map, etc on my phone. Do you have another version? Albeit for a 29er bimble.

jaminb
    Free Member

hi medders

thanks for posting your link it looks a great route but I cant download it. Your link is an activity whereas notmyrealname’s route above is a route.

Any ideas how I change an activity into a route?

thanks ben

NormalMan

DW I’ve found it now!

medders
    Free Member

Hi ben

I saved it as a route (or think I have) so this link may work

https://www.strava.com/routes/9828598

jaminb
    Free Member

thanks medders – that worked. I will try your route this weekend

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘Cheam / Epsom / Sutton’ is closed to new replies.