Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Charts in Excel 2013….help
  • D28boy
    Free Member

I’ve just been forced into using Excel ’13 and as a consequence had my old (2003 I think) Excel files converted…As a result a “simple” chart I had capturing data for our financial year Nov to Oct on the horizontal axis , is now displayed as April to March …..and can I get it to display correctly? Can I bollox…

Can the collective hive give me a quick fix for this? Pleeeeeeeease .

scruff9252

Right click on chart
    ‘Select data’
    Right hand box allows you to change the axis scale

D28boy
    Free Member

Thanx Scruff but doesn’t help me…Horizontal Axis is 12 months …Nov to Oct… The “select data source” box shows the data in correct order in the right hand side “horizontal axis label”. But in any event I can’t see a way of changing the order in the horizontal axis ? Looking at the formula it also shows the correct order… It just seems like that excel has decided to centre the Data labels and is starting from the middle of the data selection..April….

I just want the horizontal axis to reflect the same order that it appears in the actual data.

scruff9252

If you press change data for the axis, it should allow you to select the cells you want in the date range.

D28boy
    Free Member

Sorry I say again….the data is correct…it is in the correct order in the formula bar i.e. Nov to Oct..it is in the same order in the rioght hand pane…Nov to Oct but the chart displays the year from April ?

twicewithchips
    Free Member

Right-click on the axis, and choose format axis – new pane pops up (at the right, or maybe floating) – does changing between a text axis and date axis help?

I can’t quite work out from the description if that’s the problem though – sorry. Can you post a screen shot?

Edit: yes I can, I’ve just discovered that if you have names of months (e.g. oct) it behaves differently to if you have dates (e.g. 01-Oct). However, the number format/display might be ambiguous. The fix above works for date-formatted cells, toggling between date order (months in sequence) and text order (as per your list).

D28boy
    Free Member

more chips……thankyou ! Saved my sanity….

twicewithchips
    Free Member

You’re welcome – dates in excel always seem to cause more trouble than they should!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Charts in Excel 2013….help’ is closed to new replies.