Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • Charley Borman
  • zippykona

Eff that for a game of soldiers.

spacemonkey

Can’t stand the bloke so no longer watch what he’s up to.

pedlad

Wow 8O- not really the H&S assessment culture you assume is rife in british tv production!

wrightyson
    Free Member

Great stuff!

pedlad

Bet there’s some good MTB routes in them there hills

lasty
    Free Member

Bore-man gets himself into some great adventures so top respect …
    BUT … sidekick Russ is just totalaly out of his depth, a tool to boot and hangs onto the Borman shirt tails for the money – get a proper job man !

bigG
    Free Member

What programme is he doing now then?

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Chasing after Excalibur toughened him up – times were tough for young Mordred

Jujuuk68
    Free Member

I think I’d rather spend time with Martin Bormann than Charley.

grantway
    Free Member

Never warmed to him or his personality

boblo
    Free Member

He’s made a career out of being Ewan’s mate and seems devoid of any positive feature. Can’t stand watching his contrived shite.

rudebwoy
    Free Member

He’s made a career out of being Ewan’s mate and seems devoid of any positive feature. Can’t stand watching his contrived shite.

you are generous , reckon he’s on par with horseshit

trail_rat
    Free Member

hes a better writer than a tv presenter though.

the programs really suck baws. but i enjoyed his dakar book. so i tried to read the long way down/round and it switched narative between him and ewan and in the end i had to stop reading ewans stuff – it was a bit cat sat on a mat.

klumpy
    Free Member

I watched the Long Way Round, and started the Long Way Down, and they certainly gave the impression that Boorman was a get on with it kind of guy with some ability when it came to adventure motorcycling, and Ewan was a whiny precious little tit. Ewan was the other guy dragging along in Boorman’s wake trying to pretend he actually owned any balls.

globalti
    Free Member

Go easy on the bloke, he was brought up in a privileged family, his Dad was a nutter (judging from Zardoz, the only film of his I can remember seeing) and he didn’t choose that upbringing. I wouldn’t mind having a few beers with him; I expect I would find him full of self-doubt and neuroses.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Weird eyes

neninja
    Free Member

hes a better writer than a tv presenter though.

If he actually wrote much of it himself. I’d heard Jeff Gulvin had ghost written most of his and Ewan’s books.

atlaz
    Free Member

I think I’d rather spend time with Martin Bormann than Charley.

Made me actually laugh out loud (couldn’t bring myself to type LOL). Sitting next to a couple of Germans. Didn’t think explaining it to them would be totally appropriate.

Zedsdead
    Free Member

a lot of people don’t like him and call him boring and I can see why.

However, he may not be very good on a bike etc but at least he get’s stuck in and he’s out there doing it!

Yes, he’s had a privelidged life and all that but would you rather the tv schedule was filled with rubbish?

I reckon he’d be a pretty interesting fella in real life and would be a great laugh down the pub.

zippykona

I saw his speaking tour which I enjoyed. He had a ” minder” there to keep him on topic but once he started rambling he was so much more interesting.
    Easily top of my go for a pint with list.
    Ps would be good to use him rather than Hammond on top gear.

davetrave
    Free Member

Yup – spent a week there in 2005 doing a multiday from Sani Pass to Bushman’s Nek in the north of the Drakensberg, hut to hut. Was on foot but there were peeps on MTBs and it was all lovely, buff singletrack with some testing climbs and sustained descents.

Spongebob
    Free Member

zippykona – Member
    Eff that for a game of soldiers.

Eff what for a game of soldiers?

trail_rat
    Free Member

well who ever jeff is he definantly got the difference between the two characters portrayed well…. wether intentionally or by accident.

zippykona

Eff what for a game of soldiers?

Sliding backwards down a mountain road in the direction of a very large drop.

Papa_Lazarou
    Free Member

I think he seems OK, not up his own ass or anything.

I liked LWD and LWR, but the more recent stuff has been a bit to chan 5 for me and a bit like watching someones holiday video.

footflaps

There is a brilliant series of films about him on Youtube:

“Ewan and Thingy” – 9 episodes!

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xorQyl121I[/video]

kilo

davetrave – Member

Yup – spent a week there in 2005 doing a multiday from Sani Pass to Bushman’s Nek in the north of the Drakensberg, hut to hut. Was on foot but there were peeps on MTBs and it was all lovely, buff singletrack with some testing climbs and sustained descents.

I think I’m riding them in May 😀

http://www.sani2c.co.za/DisplayLink.aspx?group=Race%20Details&name=The%20Route

Northwind

Have to admit I wasn’t that impressed with him til he did the Paris-Dakar, but that made me take a second look. Wasn’t impressed with any part of Long Way Round really.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

Borman senior is great fun, and he came across as a right laugh in one of the series when they visited him at home.

He had Excalibut behind the piano. “I bet someones looking for that”

Bonkers

Huwzy
    Free Member

He didn’t do the Dakar! he entered it and then crashed out on the first hard day.

singlecrack
    Free Member

I met him a few years ago while doing some enduro’s (motorcycle type) …he’s a thoroughly nice chap ….sorry to disappoint you

Kato

Huwzy – Member
    He didn’t do the Dakar! he entered it and then crashed out on the first hard day

Gave it a go though…..

andypaul99
    Free Member

I like the guy, he seems pretty down to earth on Interviews I’ve seen. Thing is though long way round and long way down were brilliant because you got the impression they wanted to do it. Whereas with Charlys solo efforts I get the impression its more of a job he is getting paid for. And yes that Russ is a prick

growinglad
    Free Member

He’s okay….I can watch him and think, okay, he’s giving it a crack.

That Russ guy (think that’s his name)….I said to the wife yesterday, there are many people in the public eye who are quite interesting, and probably sharing a beer or two with them would be time well spent….but that Russ guy…..

Complete knob jockey.

trail_rat
    Free Member

“He didn’t do the Dakar! he entered it and then crashed out on the first hard day. “

dont let facts get in the way of a good story.

it wasnt day 1. (or 2 or 3 or 4)

I take it you have finished the dakar to make such a statement. i mean by all accounts its a bit easy so i havnt bothered …. *doubtful hat on*

fervouredimage
    Free Member

He’s a horrible oafish bore who appears to endlessly whine and complain. If ever there was anyone who needs a good dose of MTFU it’s Charlie Bloody Boorman.

(and he can’t ride a motorcycle off road for toffee)

davetrave
    Free Member

davetrave – Member

I think I’m riding them in May

http://www.sani2c.co.za/DisplayLink.aspx?group=Race%20Details&name=The%20Route

Looking at your route, not sure you will TBH, you’re heading straight out east towards the coast – the trail from Sani to Bushman’s Nek stays in the mountains, traversing the escarpment north to south, it’s called the Giant’s Cup Trail. Relatively easy walking at 60km over 5 days but I was leading a group of novices (squaddies, so we were waking up with hangovers most mornings – funny how they complain about having to carry loads of weight when tabbing around at work but then, when the weight’s made up of something practical like beer it’s a different matter…).

Kato

fervouredimage – Member

and he can’t ride a motorcycle off road for toffee

Awesome. Who you comparing him with? Marc Coma, or yourself?

anagallis_arvensis

He might be a **** but **** me he’s made the most of life and has a pretty **** good job. I always thouht mcgregor came across as a much nicer guy.

anagallis_arvensis

I also thought he seems pretty competant off road

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘Charley Borman’ is closed to new replies.