Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Charging Di2, abroad, via USB, without a computer
  • fr0sty
    Free Member

I have t newer internal battery Di2 and am going to be spending an extended period in France with no access to the usual USB method of charging.

Am I right in thinking I could use the iPhone USB wall charger thing and just plug my Di2 USB into it?

Anyone else had the same problem?

Cheers!

jam-bo

Charge all sorts with the iPhone charger, no reason why it shouldn’t be fine

jam-bo

Although I also have a travel adaptor with a 500mA USB port on top

whitestone
    Free Member

You’ll be fine, standard USB is 500mA. With things like the iPad charger other devices will only draw the charge they need so that’s fine for the iPhone and anything else.

somouk
    Free Member

Depending how much charge it needs one of the portable phone batteries might be more suitable and means you can charge without any electricity at all if required.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00BQ5KHJW/ref=sr_ph?ie=UTF8&qid=1429880220&sr=1&keywords=anker

freeagent
    Free Member

Yep, standard USB ‘phone charger’ type plug will be fine.
    However they do appear to come in two different power ratings as my old phone charger doesn’t charge my daughters new tablet..

Suggest you check at home first, just to be sure.

jairaj

Even if your power adaptor is only rated at the lower 500 mA, it should still charge the battery, just take longer to get to full charge.

brassneck

It’ll be fine – charge voltage will be correct, mA/h rating just determines how long it takes to charge it.

fr0sty
    Free Member

Cheers everyone.

Could I use the same plug to charge my USB Exposure light too?

If so thats very good news.

Teapot
    Free Member

I’ve used my iPhone plug to charge my Di2 (amongst other things) with no problems.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Quick bump for this one…

So what’s the point of the 60 quid Shimano charger then if I can just use any old USB charger?

STATO
    Free Member

So what’s the point of the 60 quid Shimano charger then if I can just use any old USB charger?

Could be wrong but its that £60 charger people are plugging into a standard USB plug. You cant pulg a USB cable into Di2, it needs its own wire and the £60 one is that (and it also provides the bits needed to program the shifters, hence cost).

mrblobby
    Free Member

Ah right, I see, so it’s USB to the charging box, then some proprietary connector form that box to the junction box?

njee20
    Free Member

Spot on. I’ve used Apple charger on mine with no issues.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Thanks. Bit of a pain that they couldn’t just stick an USB socket on the junction box. And I’ve already got a bike with the external battery so I’m going to have two chargers now 😕

Hear reports that you can just charge via the rear mech. How do people do this? Do they just have a spare B junction box, unplug the rear mech, and plug the cable into the junction box which has the charger socket? My junction boxes may not be easily accessible so be good to know if I can do this.

shuhockey
    Free Member

I’ve used my Dynamo and Luxos U Light.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Thanks. Dynamo not really appropriate for my intended build 😉

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Charging Di2, abroad, via USB, without a computer’ is closed to new replies.