Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Charging buyers admission fees for car boot sales?
  • ohnohesback
    Free Member

My brother in law and his family were charged 80p each to get into a car boot sale. This is the first time I’ve heard of such a practice. Is this just an isolated and greedy exception, or becoming more widespread?

CHB

Perfectly normal. Keeps the riff raff out.

scotroutes

What’s greedy about it?

ohnohesback
    Free Member

So you’d be happy to pay an admission fee for Tesco?

scotroutes

What?

Edric64
    Free Member

I have always paid to go to a car boot sale and look at stolen items from sheds

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

If Tesco charge, I go somewhere else.
    If they all start charging, they’re probably breaking some law and I’d go somewhere else.
    They had a choice at the entrance of whether to pay or not.
    Not seeing the greed myself.

CHB

Not Tesco, but I am happy to pay my admission fee to Costco annually. Normally it’s a quid per person to get into car boot sales near me.

properbikeco
    Free Member

a big one up here is 50p entry

small ones are free, otherwise just turning away trade

ohnohesback
    Free Member

How about paying for a £2 per person ‘early bird’ pass to get the first sight of the stalls before the 8am opening?

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

How about paying for a £2 per person ‘early bird’ pass to get the first sight of the stalls before the 8am opening?

If people are prepared to pay it, why not? It’d probably make it a far better experience for everyone.

tetchypete
    Free Member

I’ve never bought anything decent at a car boot sale, mainly because I refuse to get up at 6am ( why do they always start so early?) and by the time I get there all that’s left is the stuff normal people take to the tip.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

The one near us (walking distance) charges .50p for buyers to get in, AND it starts at 12.00.
    I really cannot see a problem with a landowner charging a paltry few pence to wander round his field with a view to buy someones crap!

CaptJon
    Free Member

ohnohesback – Member

You do pay to go into Tesco, or rather you pay for the store to be there through a tiny portion of the cost of food. Car boot sales are temporary and the organisers still have to pay for the use of the land (the store) – they’ll charge sellers and buyers flat fees as recouping tiny portions from each product sold if impossible.

tinribz
    Free Member

You think they don’t charge the stall?olders too?

There is one up our way that is 50p person, I wont be bothering, tis a cheek.

thomthumb
    Free Member

20p here.

most i’ve ever spent…

kayak23

I paid 50p to get into one today. Frankly I was disgusted. Also, several strangers stroked our dog and the items on offer were essentially landfill the moment they were produced, never mind several years of languishing in the shit box later…
    I’ll never get that 50p back…
    This thread has reopened my 50p-loss-related- emotional wounds.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Have only paid at one (big one near Cheltenham) and that was a premium to ‘get in early’. Ever been had? What a lot of tat.

taxi25
    Free Member

I’ve never been to a car boot sale. Honestly !!

thestabiliser
    Free Member

just get up insanely early tomorrow an go through your neighbours bins 50p saved and you might strike lucky and get a barely used tampon or some still hydrated weetabix . win.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Charging buyers admission fees for car boot sales?’ is closed to new replies.