Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Charge Splashback opinions sought
  • wordnumb
    Free Member

Bought a couple of these unfortunately named Splashback tyres for the pub bike, company sent the wrong size – which is fine mistakes happen.

Without removing the packaging the compound seems rather plastic-y. Anybody used these, are they alright on roads / muddy lanes in the wet under the influence of alcohols?

ta

skinnyboy
    Free Member

Good tyre, both me and a mate run them and only in absolute bog conditions have they been a let down.

wordnumb
    Free Member

Thanks, I’ll exchange them for the correct size rather than returning them then.
    They look really good on the black frame.

superstu
    Free Member

Hmmm. I think they’re great looking but they suffer badly in gloop and the wet. Not a particularly sticky compound.
    Not the worst tyre but I certainly wouldn’t have one on a buke I used regularly off road, but should be for a pub or canal bike

unovolo
    Free Member

Got some on my retrobuild (coz of the Tan wall) they don’t like mud, certainly the variety where I ride anyway.

Seem good on sandy/gravelly stuff and no problems on tree roots but clog up in mud,quite compliant though.

Not overly keen on the squared off profile I refer a rounder profile but thats personal preference.

amedias
    Free Member

I quite like them, not had a chance to try them in deep gloop but they were fast and grippy round Bontrager 24/12 which was a mix of roots, sandy, gravelly and rocks and hard backed mud, that seems to be their perfect conditions!

tinybits
    Free Member

I might have heard them called the ‘rip and walk back’ by their designer…. put me off enough to sell the ones I won! At the same event I won them (Earlstoke 12, couple of years ago), the charge team were almost all using something else.

amedias
    Free Member

I might have heard them called the ‘rip and walk back’ by their designer

curious, I’ve not heard that as a complaint about them from anywhere, I’ve not had enough ride time on mine to comment on longevity but they stood up to 100+ rocky and rooty miles at 24/12

scottfitz
    Free Member

what size did you want/get?

wordnumb
    Free Member

Ordered the 1.8, got sent 2.1 *. Retailer has quickly and effectively swapped ’em. They smell good. Won’t know how they ride as my pub bike currently has a newish Landcruiser and a weird Chinese tyre that refuses to show any wear after 13 years.

* 2.1 would foul my wonky mudguard, which I have on my rigid bike to avoid splashback.

scottfitz
    Free Member

I ask cos I have a new pair of 1.8 but wanted 2.1 if you still had them I was going to say swap?!?

rollodes
    Free Member

I run 2.1 on the front and 1.8 on the rear. The pros: look great, good on roots, fast rolling,quite light, and are very supple. And dirt cheap. Cons: not great in sticky mud, but not as bad as some would have you believe. Wish they did a 29 version.

wordnumb
    Free Member

Sounds good then, the worst I need ’em for is fire road type lanes.

amedias
    Free Member

Sorry for thread resurrection but I’ve just had my first wet ride on these, and I’m lucky I survived! Absolutely flippin’ lethal in the wet on slippy rocks and a bit of mud.

They were great in the summer on dry hardpack, but a winter tyre they most definitely are not!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Charge Splashback opinions sought’ is closed to new replies.