Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Changing your name via Deed Poll.
  • monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Long story short – I was adopted at birth and had my surname changed. My adopted parents are no longer here and for personal reasons I would like to change my surname back to my pre-adopted surname (This will also mean a change of surname for Mrs and Junior who are cool with this)
    Sooooo, anyone on here changed their name via deed poll? How much of a PITA is it..
    and no, I won’t be changing my surname to Mclovin. 😀

jimdubleyou

surname to Mclovin

NICE!

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I know of a guy who did it, it seemed easy enough. (his name was Arthur Smelz) The registrar laughed when he told her his current name & said, ‘what do you want to change your name to’? & he said, ‘Bob Smelz’

IGMC.

jekkyl

lol essel. I have nothing else to add.

allthegear
    Free Member

I’ve done it, using a similar form to the one here: https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/relationships/birth-certificates-and-changing-your-name/changing-your-name/Statutory-declaration-of-change-of-name-for-adults/

It’s pretty easy; fill it in, take it into a notary solicitor and read it out loud. They witness it and give you notarised copies. Then, send them off for passport, driving licence etc.

Solicitor only charged me £5 and gave me five free notarised copies.

Rachel

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

Oooh – I could change mine, move to another country and escape this life of crime for only a fiver… sign me up!

cheekyget
    Free Member

My mate has done this….he did it online…..it was a few years ago and cost him around £30

His surname was McCock….first name Phil 😆

aracer
    Free Member

Is the punchline that he changed his name to Paul?

Moses

Yes, years ago, via statutory declaration.
    It was easy & fast, no problems apart from the hassles of telling banks, changing passport, driving licence, etc.

thecaptain
    Free Member

You don’t change your name with a deed poll. You change your name by simply adopting your new name (lots of people do this when they get married, but it’s not limited to that occasion). Deed poll may be useful to prove your new name, but its not the name change itself.

P-Jay
    Free Member

It’s easy if not quick – we used an agency who give you official looking documents, but really they’re snake oil, you just start using the name and it’s legit – the documents do make it easier though with some people.

It’s worth noting that all places will accept it – my Son for example has my surname now, on all his school books and on the register he has our name – but on thier official records he’s still got his mothers maiden name. His next passport will have our name, his driving licence will too – but it’s likely his NI card will have his old name, as will any records held with NHS. It can all be changed but it’s a PITA.

As for OP, if you had your name changed, does your Birth Certificate reflex your original name? You may not have to go through so many hoops.

crankboy
    Free Member

Thecaptin is right. We will do you a stat Dec for £50 plus vat plus £5 oath fee to another solicitor to have you swear it . The only document that won’t change is your birth certificate but that is because it certifies your birth and the name you had at that point.
    The stat dec or change of name deed is just a device to prove your intent to use your new name.

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

My mate at work has for basically the same reason as the OP, it must have been easy ‘cos he’s a right lazy fecker! This was before he was married though.

Cougar

You don’t change your name with a deed poll. You change your name by simply adopting your new name (lots of people do this when they get married, but it’s not limited to that occasion). Deed poll may be useful to prove your new name, but its not the name change itself.

Yup. I looked into this a bit back. There’s lots of ways you can give people money but really you just need to start using your name and tell the council / banks / etc etc that you’re using it. You do need to get a declaration signed for things like passports; that can be a solicitor or a JP. There’s a bunch of stuff on the CAB website IIRC.

acidchunks

I printed my own off on to decent quality paper and got a couple of colleagues to witness it (on 5 copies).

Took half an hour at most and has been accepted everywhere including the passport office.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Changing your name via Deed Poll.’ is closed to new replies.