Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • changing to 11-36t cassette. do i new new rear mech ?
  • fisherboy
    Free Member

Following the thread the other day about running a 1*9 set up i thought i might give it a go. Here’s the thing though, will my existing old style xt rear mech be able to cope with a 36t. can i just adjust it out with the b screw. Think i read somewhere that 36t only works with shawdow mechs. is this true ?

rOcKeTdOg

Running an old style lx with mine, long cage though, works fine

takisawa2

I dont think my 10spd SLX is a shadow type…

Presumably your thinking of the 9spd 11-36 cassette they did for 29ers…they are quite heavy, & I’m sure I read somewhere that Shimano reckon they have to be used with a specific hub because of the extra torque. Having run 1×10 all summer I doubt I’d bother with a granny ring again. 36/32 is low enough to get up most stuff.

roblane65
    Free Member

delete.

antigee

need to understand capacity, learnt this the hard way trying to get road capable big hill capable knackered knee capable, small cages clear rocks but don’t do big cogs – its a combination front and rear cogs and needs math, well just sums – the late sheldon helps, link in a min, and shimano does have buried in tech docs the capacity of each mech, i’ve been told camp’ mechs actually have bigger capacity not sure if true or just that shimano are a bit prudent

http://sheldonbrown.com/gloss_ca-g.html
    edit think i swopped 11 to 12 on an xt hub so could get 36 and that would be long cage

njee20
    Free Member

You’ll need a shadow mech to clear a 36, but the Shimano cassette is a 12-36, 11-36 is 10 speed only. GS (medium cage) will be ok with 1×9.

rOcKeTdOg

Is a 10sp 36 wider than a 9sp?

Been running a 36 on a proII for 18 months with no probs

njee20
    Free Member

No.

thesurfbus
    Free Member

Using an xtr m952 rear derailleur (long cage) with an 11-36 and it works fine, shame the cassette weighs about a pound.

motorman
    Free Member

Sram X7 works too

njee20
    Free Member

A 12-36 you mean? Unless you do a bodge and have a jump at the bottom there aren’t 9 speed 11-36s. I’d not be confident of a non-Shadow mech’s ability to go big/big with a 36. We all know you shouldn’t do it, nice you to know you won’t do any damage though. Perhaps the surfbus can confirm…

thesurfbus
    Free Member

It was a 12-36 but I might have put an 11t on, I am running 1×9 with a 32T front, chain is short to keep it tight, never had any issues in the last 18 months.

njee20
    Free Member

Fair enough, so it’ll be fine for the OP. Be interesting to know if they’d do big/big on a triple though without ripping in half. I’m surprised they even clear the 36t sprocket, so it may be alright.

thesurfbus
    Free Member

I have a vague recollection of someone selling bespoke cassettes that went up to 39T, which worked fine with Old Skool Rear Mechs.

EDIT: Ebay and action tec

fisherboy
    Free Member

Thanks guys. my mistake, yes it should be 12*36t cassette. Sounds like an old school can be made to work. Thinking now it’s probably easier just to get a different sized chain ring.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘changing to 11-36t cassette. do i new new rear mech ?’ is closed to new replies.