Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Changing pedal systems – CB to Shimano or Time?
  • kevin1911

I’ve been riding Crank Brothers Candy pedals for about 15 years, and have always liked the float and consistent entry and exit the offer. I’ve always been able to live with the maintenance issues, but I’m now thinking about changing up. Shimano is the obvious choice, but not sure I like the thought of having little or no lateral float (I don’t have any specific knee problems, but I’d like to keep it that way!). Time Atac’s are the other candidate, and I’m erring towards them at the moment, but have seen the Bikeradar review which says they can be really awkward to unclip from.

Just wondering if anyone else has made the switch from CB to Time (or any other system), and how did it go for you?

carlos
    Free Member

CB to Time convert here. Got sick of rebuilding the CB’s every other couple of months or so

Wish I’d found out about Time sooner as they are great pedals imo. Nice float, longevity is great, pedal feel when not clipped in is reassuring, not too pricey and not that heavy.

Two riding buddies have converted from Shimano to Time in the last few months and neither would go back

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I went from time, to CB, to shimano. Won’t be changing again.

Even £20 shimano m520’s just go on, and on, and on. The cleats last several times longer too. There’s still plenty of float. My knees actually prefer them because you don’t have to force them round to unclip, and they actually click in/out, and at a consistent angle, no more guessing, or tentatively pulling up for the first few pedals, or coming to a stop and finding that the spring just won’t release at the angle you thought it would.

I had no problems rebuilding CB’s, they’re simple enough, but not having to do any maintenance at all is even better. And for £20 I’d just bin them if they did need it.

Time were OK, I never got more than a year out of the bearings though. They ate cleats like CB, and the bodies wore (although this seems less of an issue on the composite models than the aluminium ones).

The other advantage of Shimano over CB/Time is as the cleats wear out nothing change until one day they just fail. CB/Time get looser, and looser, and looser until they start falling out of the pedals. I think it’s because the bottom of the cleat wears out walking, but the hidden top bit does the cleating. Whereas CB/Time use softer metals as the cleat is moving around more under the springs, so the bit that interfaces with the pedal wears out.

kevin1911

they actually click in/out, and at a consistent angle, no more guessing

Shimano SPD were the first clipless pedals I tried before I settled on the CB’s – I found the release to be really unpredictable, and had several comedy crashes as a result. It’s quite possible that both these issues were due to my tendency to panic when I came to a stop, fearing I was about to make a tit of myself again. 🙂

I suppose the only way to find out which ones I prefer would be to try them…

bigblackshed

I’ve gone from CB, (10 years ish) to Shimano. 6 months and I still can’t get used to them. Clipping out is miles better on the Shimanos, clipping in still takes me 3 or 4 goes. It’s one direction only and pretty specific angel. CBs are forward, backwards, stamp if necessary. Lots easier.

Are Time pedals similar to CB for the multi-direction clip in?

Junkyard
    Free Member

Time were OK, I never got more than a year out of the bearings though. They ate cleats like CB, and the bodies wore (although this seems less of an issue on the composite models than the aluminium ones).

eh?
    My oldest set will be over a decade old and my newest set not much under that age

Not had to replace any cleats or do any maintenance yet to any of the 5 sets I own

thecaptain
    Free Member

I’ve been on time for decades and only worn out one pair of pedals in that time. A current new pair with new shoes and cleats is a little tricky to get out of but that’s just cos I’m more used to an old worn set. I found them much better than shimano in mud, but that was decades ago and may not still apply.

MaryHinge
    Free Member

Happy log t Time user here.

Tried CB but they did require regular rebuilds.

Shimano were fine but I struggled with them when muddy and if I didn’t hit the clip in sweet spot there was no grip.

With Time I have none of these issues.

And I haven’t had to buy any new cleats ever.

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Time all they way for me, tried shimano but could never find a happy spot for my knees.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Another long term Time user here. Seemingly indestructible pedals. Saw a friend with one of the old Z platform alloy ones smash an edge off on a rock, but it was still perfectly usable despite that.

Lots of float, solid engagement, superb in mud.
    Oh, and bombproof.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I bought Time pedals about a year ago; prefer them to Shimano.

I think the XC4 are the pick of the bunch; the higher models cost alot more but appear to offer no extra benefits.

Kamakazie

Echo the above, Time pedals are bulletproof.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Changing pedal systems – CB to Shimano or Time?’ is closed to new replies.