Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Changing one's name (aaarrrggghhh content)
  • cinnamon_girl

Sorry, just have to let off some steam 😳

Have officially changed my proper name and am currently wading through silly amounts of paperwork. Depending on who I am dealing with as to what name I use, let alone credit cards, bank accounts etc etc. Not forgetting the four e-mail addresses I am juggling 🙄

Can anyone reassure me that it will get easier?

Some deep breathing now …

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Are you now officially Zodiac Mindwarp?

cinnamon_girl

No but my initials are P.I.T.A. 😆

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    muddydwarf
    Free Member

Surname 'bread' then? 🙂

Harry_the_Spider

Let me know how you get on. I've always fancied being called Eusebio St. Moritz but I don't like filling in forms.

allthepies
    Free Member

Can you let me know the details so I can update my surveillance lists ?

Ta.

cinnamon_girl

Well, I had mooted the idea of Juliana Santa Cruz but she has now been sold!

Did remember to change my profile on here, have been known to organise the odd ride 🙄

Rich
    Free Member

Could I ask how you did it?

My step-daughter wants to change her surname and after looking into changing it by Deed Poll, it seems as long as you have the correct wording, it is fine to draw one up yourself.

How successful this will be with the authorities is yet to be seen.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

In common law your name is whatever you say it is

satsoma
    Free Member

I had an absolute nightmare changing my name a few years ago!

Basically, my Mum changed my surname unofficially (I.e. just enrolled me at school under a different name) after my Dad left. I grew up with this other surname, but a few years ago wanted to use my Dad's surname again.

Obviously I had no paperwork regarding the name change – trying to convince companies my name was just going back to how it was supposed to be was rubbish!!

So best advice, relax…it'll be over soon 😉

cinnamon_girl

Rich – it doesn't cost much by Deed Poll. It's important to remember that some organisations will require proof, ie a Certified Copy of the Deed Poll.

flippinheckler
    Free Member

No but my initials are P.I.T.A

=
    Paper Industry Technical Association! Weirdo 😆

ctznsmith
    Free Member

Isn't it like £40 by deed poll but you legally have to keep the name for at least 1 year?

molgrips
    Free Member

Are you now Cinnamon Girl in real life?

IanMunro
    Free Member

So with your new initials do you prefer Miss Arse, or Ms Arse? 🙂

cinnamon_girl

Are you now Cinnamon Girl in real life?

Oh no! There are many facets to my persona and that would mean I would need another name on here 😉

So with your new initials do you prefer Miss Arse, or Ms Arse?

Miss Ar$e will be fine 🙂

IanMunro
    Free Member

Cool, I'll remember to slip the dollar down the middle next time 🙂

cinnamon_girl

Cool, I'll remember to slip the dollar down the middle next time

You'll have to do better than that sunshine 😉

IanMunro
    Free Member

Heh, there's a recession you know 🙂

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Going rate is a crisp £20 in the g-string, I believe.

So I've heard.

Apparently.

A friend told me.

Honest.

cinnamon_girl

Cap'n – £20 wouldn't pay for the thread used in my g-string 😉

muddy_bum
    Free Member

Changing back to Tweedy?

flippinheckler
    Free Member

because you wear support knickers!

allthegear
    Free Member

I changed my name at Christmas and I'm still coming across things that need updating…

The Statutory Declaration (SD) was cheap, £5 and no charge for notarised copies. Felt a bit silly standing up in the solicitors office reading out aloud as required but hey ho.

The banks (current account, savings and the mortgage) were fine and quite easy to do – just take a copy of the SD into the bank and they faxed it to head office.

Driving Licence was free – although I had to get a new photo which they charged £20 for. Incidentally, I drove under my old name for 20 years without incident – one week after changing to Rachel, I got flashed.

Don't forget to change the name on the car itself – I did and now need to explain why the person the car is registered to no longer seems to exist…

Passport was expensive – £80.50 including returning the SD and Doctor's letter by secure post. And the bl**dy doctor charged £20 for the covering letter! Really quick though – only a week.

Apple were a right pain with my MobileMe account – their system won't let you change your primary email address and that is the only one you can send emails from on an iPhone. grrr. New account opened as the old one expired now.

Check a few things at work – in my case I needed to make sure the Life Insurance was aware but that won't apply in your case. Finance need to know to change your payslips and inform the Tax Office, though.

Also worth talking to Experian and sending them a copy of your change of name – keep your credit history making sense.

Not done the mobile phone, house deeds at the Land Registry or broadband yet.

Good things: It's only 2 months in and very rarely do people accidentally use my old name in conversation. Can't be easy for them to remember.

Bad things: Junk mail – absolutely nothing you can do about it arriving and it is a constant reminder…

It does get easier and, to be honest, it's not that hard to change name. Lot's of work, yes…

Good luck with the rest of it!!

duckman

A guy I worked with years ago changed his name to crazy frankenstein.He was always in trouble so seeing his name in the around the courts in the local was pretty funny.

allthegear
    Free Member

@simonfbarnes – yes, you are pretty much correct that you can call yourself what you like. The thing is, "authorities" like to know that you intend to keep using the name you have chosen and that everyone is informed. That's why they like a bit of paper – be it a Statutory Declaration or a Deed Poll.

allthegear
    Free Member

And, so long as you don't give yourself a qualification like Prof or Dr, you can use any name prefix you like – Mr Miss, Ms etc. There's no legal meaning in them at all. (not that I'm suggesting that you do…)

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Changing one's name (aaarrrggghhh content)’ is closed to new replies.