Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Changing Marzocchi fork bushes
  • funkynick

Anyone on here done it? I managed to strip down the forks easily enough last night, out came the dust and oil seals pretty easily, but could I get the bushes to move? Could I ****!

Now, I am aware there is a specific tool for the job, but I am not spending £100 just on that! So, I made up my own slide hammer/puller, but all I succeeded in doing was bending the modded washer I was using to pull out the bush. I’ll be using a thicker washer next time!

So, are they supposed to be this well seated? Anyone got any tips to make the job any easier?

robob
    Free Member

yeah, do it 3 months ago instead of two days before the big trip out!! 😉

funkynick

It’s a fair cop…

But they will get changed, even if I have to beat them with a large hammer…

The forks might not work afterwards mind..

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Is there a circlip holding them in?

funkynick

Nope, they are inserted using a hammer and a large drift… there is a clip holding the oil seal in place, but that’s already been removed.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Heat?

peachos
    Free Member

i was tempted to do mine a few weeks ago, but then i thought, if parts are £60 anyway (seals/bushings/oil) i may as well pay someone £20 for the effort and not balls up the seals/bushings trying to fit em with botched tools!

funkynick

I thought about that, and am definitely going to stick the bushes in the freezer before fitting them, but applying heat where it would make any difference looks like it could be quite tricky. Plus, with them being made from cast magnesium, I’m a little wary about putting in too much heat for fear of damaging them..

funkynick

Seals and bushings for mine were less than £30, and I already have the oil at home so thought I’d give it a go…

How hard could it be? :o)

oopnorth
    Free Member

Ref the heat option, I have heard of some people putting their lowers in the oven for about 5mins, 180 degrees, to help warm them up.
    Not tried it myself & keep an eye on your decals so they don`t melt, I accept no responsibility!!! 😀

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Hot water for the heat – not enough to damage but enough to expand them a bit. Wrap in a rag and pour a kettleful over them

funkynick

I’m going to be building a puller this evening after buying 1m of M12 threaded bar this morning, and then I’ll just try pulling them out… the official service manual shows them using a slide hammer, so a puller should be okay I reckon.

If that doesn’t work, then the oven/kettle method might well be next..

coffeeking
    Free Member

Ahh I remember the days of split bushes in the marzocchis (~1999?) – slipped in and out without problems. The newer ones scare me!

funkynick

Well, the news ones I’ve got have a split in them, and it looks like the ones in the forks do too, but with the ends butted up against each other…

I have to say I was expecting them to be a reasonable press fit, nothing like this unless they are just corroded/stuck in there.

funkynick

Just done a little more diggin on the heat thing, it actually looks like a good idea as the coefficient of expansion of magnesium is about twice that of steel…

So definitely something to take into account..

funkynick

Well, using a home made puller and after a lot of grinding and filing of washers to make them fit, I now have a set of fork legs sans bushes…

The next job is to get the new bushes fitted without destroying them!!!

neilforrow

got any photos of the home brew press…

peachos
    Free Member

nick – what forks are they btw? and where did you obtain a copy of the official service manual – was trying to find one a while back but with no luck.

funkynick

neil… Oh, it’s a very home-brew puller involving a length of M12 threaded bar, some washed ground down to fit down the fork legs, plus allowing them to slip through the bushes, and then using the old dust deal, a large socket, an 18 tooth SS sprocket and a big stack of normal washers… I’m not sure a photo would help too much, but I might try and rustle up a drawing that shows the salient points…

peachos… it’s an ’04 Z1 FR and it took a bit of finding, but there is a post on MTBR (can be found via google) that has downloads of all the Marzocchi owner and service manuals…

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Marzocchi service manuals (as pdf files compressed to .rar) from ’00 – ’06 here:

http://www.birota.ru/manuals/marzocchi/index.php

oopnorth
    Free Member

These are a help for Z1 FR 2003 & 2004…

Z1 FR 03 Manual
    Z1 FR 04 manual

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Changing Marzocchi fork bushes’ is closed to new replies.