Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Changing internet provider – does it make a difference?
  • Kojaklollipop
    Free Member

As above, does it really make any difference to the connection you get? Isn’t it still being supplied through the same cables etc but you just pay a different bill?

Wondering as our service (Sky) keeps dropping, we tend to go through patches where we just keep losing connection, comes back, drops again and repeat for a few hours. We’ve been on to them and it doesn’t make any difference. So, if I changed to another provider wouldn’t it be the same as it’s dependent on the same infrastructure?

gobuchul
    Free Member

It did for me. Not sure how or why?

I was with BT and changed to Plusnet, which is the same company with different customer services.

My connection still drops out on occasion but nowhere near as frequent when I was with BT. I even think the routers are the same pieces of kit in a different coloured case.

A lot cheaper to.

scotroutes

We went from Sky to BT just after moving North. The Sky network became unusable a few times each day (mostly just after school hours). It seems the contention rate was just too high. Sky were really good and let me cancel without penalty as the service was so poor. BT comes over the same cables and is just fine.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Your Sky install might be LLU (Local Loop Unbundled) which means it’s using Sky equipment in the exchange instead of BT. Moving to anything that uses BT’s network may make a difference.

Also if you have fibre available and you aren’t on it at the moment, this might make a huge difference. With fibre (To The Cabinet, FTTC) the “signal” part of the connection, that is susceptible to noise and all kinds that drops the connection, is much shorter. No longer depends on distance to exchange, just distance to the cabinet. Can make a big difference in signal drops as the signal will be much stronger and may greatly improve connection speed also.

If you’re on Sky fibre though, then probably not. Also not sure if Sky fibre is just through BT or they have their own kit.

Though if there’s no fibre option and you have a rubbish line that’s miles from the exchange, chances are you’ll always have problems unless you can convince someone to improve the line. Could be the exchange line is poor, though could get cabling checked between house and the cabinet. Kick up enough fuss and they’ll attempt to sort it out. That cable is still BT’s.

Or petition get fibre installed near you (can register interest on BT’s fibre availability site I believe which can help them prioritise on demand).

Kojaklollipop
    Free Member

Thanks, interesting, don’t know if we have cable in area yet, wasn’t when I asked a couple of years ago, will look into it but guess that’ll be more expensive. It was Plusnet I was thinkiong of changing to as Sky is about to go up in price anyway. Router also seems rubbish, we struggle to get a signal 20 to 30 ft away, is that normal too? Doesn’t seem good when I can get signal on my mobile anywhere but struggle with a mains powered device within 20 feet?

Cougar

don’t know if we have cable in area yet,

Look at the ADSL checker on samknows.com, it’ll tell you what’s available to you.

mattyfez

If adsl or fttc, a lot can depend on the quality of the router provided, or your internal phone wiring and how much copper cable as opposed to fibre cable is between you and the local
    Exchange, as it’s all essentially the same, so an up to 40mb connection for example, in theory should get you close to 40, mayb 35.

One thing to be mindfull of, above physical constraints, is over subscription, if ISP ‘x’ over sell then if you’ve got 300 customers in the same post code, and they are all going hell for leather with streaming and downloading, then they all slow down as the pipeline is full.

deadkenny
    Free Member

BT fibre availability checker is pretty good also, even if you don’t sign up with them. Same availability will be through PlusNet (ps, I recommend them).

As for router wifi signal, a lot depends on where you site the router. If it’s stuck in the corner of the house where often a phone line comes in, the majority of the signal is absorbed in the walls and if that isn’t the room you’re trying to use it in the signal is weakened by the walls between you and the router.

Best is somewhere central in the middle of the house, or where you use wifi the most.

Also, you don’t have to use the wifi in the router. You keep the router to connect to ISP but turn off the wifi in it, then get a good quality Wireless Access Point (WAP) and connect one Ethernet cable to the WAP somewhere better sited.

Ideally you want a WAP with big antenna or can fit one. If you’re lucky you can add one to the router but most just have a crappy antenna built inside the router and no external antenna socket.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Changing internet provider – does it make a difference?’ is closed to new replies.