Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Changing gears on a kids bike..what can i fit in where 6 currently spins.
  • rockhopper70

My lads Scott Voltage has shimano revo shift gripshift style shifters running a 6 speed rear cassette. He is struggling with the brakes and gripping generally as the rotating grip is quite large diameter compared to the remaining grip.
    I was mulling over some trigger shifters but cant seem to find any for six speed so could I put a 7 or 8 on the same freehub body.
    The current rear hub assembly looks a little “agricultural” and doesn’t appear to have the lock ring arrangement.
    What would you reckon?

Junkyard
    Free Member
    STATO
    Free Member

sounds like its an older freewheel style cassette block, not freehub style. Could still be possible to swap tho.

rockhopper70

junkyard…is your link for the trigger style shifter or the old style single lever type sis shifter?

ignore that..I now see its a big thumb button for shifts and a finger trigger to drop.

Looks like it might be OK.

orangeboy
    Free Member

You might be able to swap the 6 speed free wheel for a 7 if there is enough space

ji
    Free Member

Won’t a seven speed shifter work fine with a six speed? Will just have an extra ‘click’

TiRed

You should be able to fit a 7 speed frewheel on the back. Beware, some of those trigger shifters need quite a lot of force. My sons were happier with twist shifting and found stabbing the with the thumb to change down pretty tough – had to teach them to rotate the wrist with a fixed digit. Better 7spd shifters may have a lighter action, but it was not as simple as you might think for my boys.

ianv
    Free Member

what size voltage? A friends son had a 24″ one with an 8 speed set up.

Edit, pretty sure this was with the original wheels.

rockhopper70

It’s a 20″ wheel bike.
    And I think it is the bolt on cassette rather than the screw on lock ring one.

simondbarnes

Shimano TX50 6 speed shifters (£24.99) will work and be much easier to use than the twist grip.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Changing gears on a kids bike..what can i fit in where 6 currently spins.’ is closed to new replies.