• This topic has 11 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by m360.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Changing from risers to flats – help keeping position the same (stem change?)
  • m360
    Free Member

I’ve messed around with the bar and stem position and finally found a spot where I am comfortable. Trimmed the bars to 580mm and I’m now in pretty much the same position as my mountain bike! In order to get there I’ve had to turn the stem and bars over. This actually feels great but looks a bit of a bodge.

I also don’t like the sweep on the bars, prefer something flat.

Current stem is 100mm -6 degree. How do I calculate the stem required to leave the new flat bars in roughly the same position?

This is where it is, and feels good:

But looks, erm, odd…

bikeneil
    Free Member

Trimmed the bars to 580mm

😯

m360
    Free Member

Just found this calculator

I’ve put in reach = 100mm, angle -6 deg for my current stem. I have put “spacers” as -22mm, as this is the rise on my bars (or drop of the bars in this case. I don’t have any spacers in).

The calc gives me a new reach of 105mm and an angle of -18 degrees with zero spacers (as I’ll have a flat bar in).

Does that sound about right?

Might just have to stick a flat bar in and see how that feels. Probably be ok with the 22mm extra height and what, 8mm closer reach?

wiggles
    Free Member

More importantly what is going on the the saddle?

m360
    Free Member

Nothing wrong with the saddle, it’s only very slightly nose down, looks worse in the photo than it actually is.

Obviously the bars/stem are a temporary measure to get the fit where I want it with what I have.

Now I’ve found that calculator I think I can work something out.

hopeychondriact
    Free Member

hhmmmmm, is this a new niche that could catch on…

I think not!

jamiep
    Free Member

And the angle of the levers? Is that comfortable?

m360
    Free Member

Theres a fair bit of distortion in the photo I think, teh levers aren’t quite that steep. But yeah, they are comfortable, that’s why they are there 😉

Not everyone wants zero stems and 800mm riser bars.

This bike would have been perfect out of the box with flat bars IMHO. I guess even Kona are slaves to fashion 🙄

wwaswas

This bike would have been perfect out of the box with flat bars IMHO. I guess even Kona are slaves to fashion

I think it’s designed as a round town doing the chores/normal commuter type bike, flat bars and a dropped stem move it into arse up in the air fast commuter/proper cyclist territory which isn’t where they wanted to pitch it.

m360
    Free Member

It does carry the shopping VERY well. Had it loaded up yesterday and it rides nicely, no wobble I’ve had with previous bikes. I just prefer flat bars on any bike to be honest. Doesn’t have to be nose down arse up, you can flip the stem, put some spacers under and still use a flat bar.

Anyway, calculations done, flat bar on way. Will take a photo of it when properly finished and try and avoid the distortion.

unovolo
    Free Member

Keep the existing stem and invest in a set of the following:-
    http://ritcheylogic.com/mountain/bars/wcs-dive-blatte-mountain-bar.html.

m360
    Free Member

I like that Ritchey bar 8) Bit pricey though, the bike only cost £388! Will stick a £5 flat bar on it and see how that feels. Reckon it will be ok and there must be loads of unused ones kicking around these days.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Changing from risers to flats – help keeping position the same (stem change?)’ is closed to new replies.