Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Changing from BT to Plusnet – will it be any different?
  • gobuchul
    Free Member

As I understand Plusnet is part of BT but offer a more basic product and cheaper prices.

Had a look on line and got a very good deal for Broadband and phone off Plusnet.

Now I am not happy with BT for a lot of reasons, if Plusnet is a cheaper version then will it be an absolute nightmare?

Any experiences of Plusnet?

P-Jay
    Free Member

You’re only really changing billing platforms, so it will depend on how much you need to contact them. If you’re moving because your service drops or whatever any change will be down to pure chance.

timbur
    Free Member

Just done the same to save money.
    It all works and it’s a bit faster but the helpline is a 30 min wait.
    The router had an admin setting as well which I can’t get round (but I’m not a tech savvy person)
    Generally it’s good, but not amazing.

legend
    Free Member

but the helpline is a 30 min wait.

One of Plusnet’s best points was always how quickly you could get in touch with them, sadly that’s dropped away recently. The service when you do get through tends to be very good, but definitely not enough people on the phones for the size they’ve got

rkk01
    Free Member

Been with plusnet for years and they’ve been very good…

… until this year. Moved house and their transfer advise was wrong, resulting in 1 month absence of service and about the same of slow internet… Poor customer service trying to sort problems and no rebate on the bill (yet)

allan23
    Free Member

Probably using the same BT Openreach cables so if you have any inteference or cable issues they’ll still be there.

Plusnet are owned by BT but as far as I know they still have a separate back-end network, it may be up it may be down, not necessarily at the same time that BT is up or down.

The big suppliers are all pretty much as good or bad as each other. Go with what deals you can get.

nickc

I’ve just done the same thing. BT service was good, (apart from upload speed), but Plusnet halved my bill.

agree about the helpline, waited 25 mins the other day. Advice was helpful and spot-on when I got through though

wilburt
    Free Member

I’ve got about 30gb of Alpine footage, been on my PC for a couple of year.
    Maybe I’ll look at it when I retire.

edit: This may be on the wrong thread.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Had no complaints with BT. If anything went wrong I moaned about a line fault and it was sorted.
    Swapped to plusnet. Fine except they didn’t tell me about the time to transfer. Was told a few days which was wrong. It was 10. Otherwise great and the attitude is much nicer.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Cheaper than BT and back end infrastructure a little different despite the same cables to the exchange. Premium products possibly better options for no throttling.

Prices are based around the openreach pricing based on exchange so if you have a popular exchange and are close by you get a discount. Some providers absorb the difference.

Best is support. BT are okay but can have their frustrating moments and a bit difficult with billing issues. PlusNet go out of their way to help, and their support forum has very helpful staff. That said, issues with your line are referred to BT engineers so no difference there for good or bad.

Their routers might not be amazing for wifi signal though maybe that’s changed, but you can use other routers or a wireless access point. Their routers don’t try to share your connection with the world though like BT hubs do.

sam_underhill

Only a one off £5 charge for a fix IP on plusnet. Best pricing by far! Everything else seems just as good for me 3 months in from a bt to plusnet move.

badgerbater
    Free Member

Apologies for the thread hijack. I’ve been thinking about a move from BT, but have their BT youview TV package as well. What is the alternative for TV with Plusnet or am I missing something?

skids
    Free Member

My download speeds plummeted in the evenings when I switched from Plusnet to BT

legend
    Free Member

badgerbater – Member
    Apologies for the thread hijack. I’ve been thinking about a move from BT, but have their BT youview TV package as well. What is the alternative for TV with Plusnet or am I missing something?

PlusNet give you the option to add on BT telly stuff

badgerbater
    Free Member

Thanks legend. So changing to Plusnet appears to be a win-win.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Changing from BT to Plusnet – will it be any different?’ is closed to new replies.