Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Changing from an iPhone – what should I get? Blackberry? HTC?
  • clubber
    Free Member

I’m getting a company phone and iPhones aren’t an option. I currently have a 3GS which I’m happy with (though it’s pretty average as a phone and the durability seems pretty poor – this one is my second in just under two years despite never having had a mobile die on me before this).

So, what to get? I’ve been thinking of a Desire but if there is a decent Blackberry then I can get my work email (which unfortunately may actually be useful…) but I haven’t really thought much of the blackberries I’ve tried – screen too small/etc. Budget won’t extend to the very latest models (eg Galaxy S2) unfortunately.

Requirements are:
    – Decent size/quality screen – 3GS or bigger really which rules out the keypad BBs so I guess it’d have to be a touch screen phone
    – Touch screen that works well (eg you can type on it without constant lag/mistakes)
    – Good web browser
    – decent GPS (to use with Everytrail type apps)
    – reasonable camera (my 3GS is just about ok but something better would be great – say 5+MP with passable quality – I’m not expecting an SLR!)
    – Ability to play videos (this is pretty important – bit of a lifesaver with my son when he’s bored when we’re out and about)
    – Wifi/Bluetooth (though I think that’s pretty much a given nowadays)
    – apps – I’m not a serial app shopper but it’s nice to have some decent games (angry birds, etc) and useful apps like goodreader, news, computer remote mouse, etc)

Thanks

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Blackberry is better as a communication device, less so as a gadget. I’d be aiming for something Android, I think.

clubber
    Free Member

Yeah, that’s kind of what I figured. BB Torch no good?

Cougar

Just to be clear,

You’re going to be replacing your personal iPhone with a work phone, is that right? Not carrying both?

Reason I ask, my gut reaction would be to keep the two separate, use your iPhone for everything you use it for already and get a Blackberry for work.

If you want one phone to rule them all, I’d suggest something like the Desire S or Incredible S. What does your budget stretch to? It might be more helpful to tell us what you can get than what you can’t… (-:

surfer
    Free Member

I have a Blackberry for work and a HTC Desire HD for personal. As much to allow me to switch my Blackberry off sometimes to avoid the constant work calls at all hours!
    The HTC is very good but big.
    My team look after the group mobile contract and we have a few of the Blackberry Torch devices in circulation, feedback so far is not great.
    Other than the keyboard I am not sure why anyone would choose a Blackberry over an Iphone/HTC.

clubber
    Free Member

Yes, when I get a work phone I’ll get rid of my phone. No point me getting a work phone which I then turn off when I’m home/out and about.

Desire S is a possible – is that the latest HTC?

jon1973
    Free Member

Desire S is a possible – is that the latest HTC?

yes it’s one of the latest, with a faster processer etc.

I got one of these a couple of weeks ago and I think it’s a great phone.

resisted
    Free Member

I’ve got an iphone 4 for personal use, love it, it just feels solid, robust and quality. I’ve had iphones since the very first model so I’m also used to the OS and the “quirks”.

However for work usage I have a blackberry bold; hate it with a passion, as specified, it’s a brilliant communication device but crap for everything else. The browser and “apps” are all terrible to use on the fly and for anything that isn’t reading an e-mail or answering the phone I will always reach for the iphone. The BB is also plasticy and feels naff. A colleague has a desire and it seems great, if I couldnt have an iphone for w/e reason, the HTC would top the list

clubber
    Free Member

I think I’ll be going for the Desire S – thanks all 🙂

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Whatever you do, keep yourself a personal phone as well!

Turning work off is vital.

clubber
    Free Member

Nah, no point – won’t get loads of unnecessary work calls and would ignore if I did anyway 🙂

resisted
    Free Member

I find my mrs is as good a “switch off” deterrent as any. Once I step through the front door, if I even so much as glance at my Blackberry I’ll be in line for a slap!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Changing from an iPhone – what should I get? Blackberry? HTC?’ is closed to new replies.