Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Changing flat to drop bars
  • rickee
    Free Member

I have a hybrid with flat bars and I am converting it to drops for cyclocross use, it is based on mountain bike chainset and bottom bracket, can I put a road compact and external bottom bracket on it or is the bottom bracket shell incompatable, it will only have a double chainset

rob-jackson
    Free Member

what frame?

BadlyWiredDog

I did something similar with a Road Rat and ended up using my mountain bike cranks with a sort of faux compact double using Middleburn chainrings, one on the middle ring position, one on the outer – 34/48, I think. Shifts okay with a Sora shifter and a lot cheaper than a new crankset and bottom bracket. I found 32/48 was too big a jump for clean shifting btw.

rickee
    Free Member

Didn’t want to mention the make, its a Marin, an old one though, I only use it for the 3 Peaks but they have changed the rules this year and you can’t ride with flats

Mister-P
    Free Member

If the frame is a 68mm BB shell then a road compact chainset will fit. However if the back end of the hybrid is a 135mm spacing and you may find the crank arms are quite close to the chainstays due to the reduced Q factor. It is probably a case of try it and see.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Have you thought about how to sort the brakes, going from flats to drops?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Lots of possible issues, incompatability of:

mtb front mech/sti
    mtb front mech/road chainset
    brake levers/calipers

BB shell too – tho IIRC Marins are 68 so you’d be OK.

rickee
    Free Member

Am using STI levers and frog leg brakes which should be ok

garage-dweller

For the shifters have you considered bar end mounted ones?

I think these generally cope with more extreme ratios than STI as you might have a friction/ratchet option, hence why they still appear on some tourers?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Changing flat to drop bars’ is closed to new replies.