Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Changing european plug sockets in campervan ? Any electricians ?
  • unfitgeezer
    Free Member

The campervan I imported last year from Germany has European plug sockets is it just a case of wiring UK plug socket ? Anything else I should be aware of ?

Is this okay to install ? screwfix or this screwfix 1

thehustler
    Free Member

The easy answer is yes, as continental europe uses a 220v system and ours is 240, so most appliances are rated at 230 with a buffer to be usable on both,

Junkyard
    Free Member

not an electrician but yes

assuming it is inside the van and not external – it must be as you use a 3 point thingy outside- then any standard UK socket will do you do not need IP rated ones [ basically how outside wet and dirty]
    An electrician will explain this with the correct words tomorrow
    I assume it has an RCD fitted as well.

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

thanks for answers and by RCD you mean these ?

thehustler
    Free Member

one thing i forgot some european sites (particularly in France) can have the live and neutral wired ‘back to front’so check your van isn’t similarly wired, you can get a plug polarity tester to do this

one on ebay

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

I have one of those and all okay…its the french that play that game !

So do I have RCDs then ?

thehustler
    Free Member

yes

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

Many thanks

Shucks I love this forum 😛

thehustler
    Free Member

just looked at your screwfix links, can you not get new faceplates (probably from a camping shop) to fit the current back boxes?

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

The boxes are pretty small I shall measure them and see but tbh if they do exist they’ll be twice the price as they would have come from a “camping shop” and that will inflate the price !

I have 3 to change

Thanks for advice and ideas 😉

Junkyard
    Free Member

So do I have RCDs then ?

Yes the blue thing is your RCD switch you only have one whihc then sends the power to the two circuit breakers [ on the right]

The T button tests the RCD – press it and it should trip the RCD if it does not it is either broken or not wired up and get someone to look at it
    I could explain how it works but trust me you want it to work!!!!

welshfarmer

Not ideal, but when I moved back to germany (with lots of appliances on Uk plugs) I made up some patch lead extensions. Use a European plug on the one end and a UK multi socket on the other end of a short extension cable. Job done.

hofnar
    Free Member

why dont you just put a Tesco adaptor in them at about one quid each??

spooky_b329

Looks like its been wired in standard solid core cable?

Really it should be braided copper flex as the solid stuff can crack/break due to the vibrations when driving.

Also, there should be a good earth to the body/structure of the van to ensure it is earthed via the electric hook up.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Changing european plug sockets in campervan ? Any electricians ?’ is closed to new replies.