Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Changing cars and swapping over insurance problem
  • granny_ring

Buying new car on Monday.
    Had a buyer for my car so it was going to be a simple one out one in swap over of cars with current insurers, buyer has now pulled out for my car but I’m still getting the new car on Monday so will swap it over.

How do I stand with the old car? Not had this issue before…From Monday I can keep the car off road until it sells and SORN it from end of month if needed.
    Do I have to keep the old car insured until it sells even though it wont be used?
    If so can I get cheap temp cover from anywhere?
    Cheers

northernmatt

If it’s not on a public road as far as I can remember it doesn’t need to be insured.

scaredypants

(Guesses:)

I doubt it has to be insured if it’s on your land but no test-driving (unless you have lots of land) and buyer would need to insure in advance of collection

br
    Free Member

Move insurance over to new car, ask them to keep current one on cover?

windydave13
    Free Member

As b r says you can normally add an extra car to your policy for up to 14days for little or no money. I did that 2 years ago when I was in a similar position

granny_ring

Ok cheers, it doesn’t help that General Accident are online only and not on the end of the blower for quick answers.

garage-dweller

I managed to get about a months temporary cover in a similar situation many years ago.

Worth knowing btw that most drive other cars third party clauses on insurance still require the vehicle being driven to have valid insurance in someone’s name. So if you want others to be able to drive it on test drive then you need to keep a policy live on it.

robbie
    Free Member

Hastings direct will automatically cover the old car for 7 days when changing policy.

wilburt
    Free Member

change vehicle to your new car, old car on temporary cover.

spooky_b329

Normally your insurance will be happy to cover both for a short period. It needs to be insured for someone else to drive it on their other vehicles/third party cover, but it can be uninsured with most ‘day insured’policies I think

spooky_b329

granny_ring

GA wont cover both cars……..

andyl
    Free Member

be careful with the tax and an uninsured car. IIRC it has to be both uninsured and SORN. It will mean losing most of a months tax (that’s how they get you) but that’s probably cheaper than insurance.

Only problem then is road tests to sell it so some short term insurance might be the safest option. You can always insure it and cancel within the cooling-off period for just the admin charge or look up specific short term insurance.

granny_ring

Yeah ta, need to look into options. Will check out temp cover til end of month.

granny_ring

Jesus, 2 weeks cover £120 with Tempcover, another was around the same… 😯

Any others out there?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Changing cars and swapping over insurance problem’ is closed to new replies.