• This topic has 4 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by aP.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Changing careers again
  • jonm81

So, for the second time in as many years I am thinking of changing careers and am looking to the hive mind of STW for advice.

Bit of background. 18 months ago I left a secure job in defence working for the government as I couldn’t stand the bullshit, pay freezes and wastage of public money any longer.

After doing a fourth degree in subsea engineering I moved into oil and gas then 2 weeks later the oil price went tits up (yeah, great move that was!). We have done ok so far and my job is fairly secure for the time being however they have just made 10% of the workforce redundant and there are no pay rises (as a conversion from another industry I am on pretty low wages for the industry) or career progression for the foreseeable future.

So once again I am looking to move, this time into the rail industry. I may have the opportunity to move to a large, well known, international rail provider but it would only be for a 6 month contract with the chance of a 6 month extension followed by the possibility of a fairly high responsibility, well paying, permanent position after the contract ends.

So after that rambling the question is:

Do I stay in my current job or take a risk on a 6 month contract which may or may not lead to a much better job?

TheBrick
    Free Member

Oil any gas is tough to get in to. Low pay for the industry is usually God pay for anywhere else, if you are secure you should be wel placed for when the prices rises. When you move sector the first company to give you a job is taking a bgger risk.

Ishouldbeworking
    Free Member

I’d stay where you are if you can. Sounds like you are not costing as much as your colleagues and therefore may be safer at the moment.

As a subsea engineer, im hoping, and I am seeing here and there that subsea as a whole is not being hit as hard as other areas in oil and gas. Exploration may be on hold, and developments slowing down, but maintenance, and decomm still need subsea guys. Subsea renewables seem to be ticking over also. Sure rates are going to be lower,, it’s going to be a lean and stressful couple of years, but hopefully we can get through it.

rickmeister

I’m working with a few clients from o&g who have been let go or hedging bets against what’s coming.

Most have been support functions, on ships or supply functions. Tool pushers support vessel operational crew as opossed to more specialized roles I guess

Have a look at how central a function you provide as these are needed to help a business keep a state of readiness or safe operation…..

An interesting ok paid job must be better than a high paid at greater risk but not so engaging one.

aP
    Free Member

You probably have one more opportunity to change careers before you become essentially unemployable.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Changing careers again’ is closed to new replies.