Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Changing cables on SRAM GX Shifters ?
  • grannyjone
    Free Member

I’ve got a new bike with an 11 speed SRAM GX Shifter and the cable that came with it did not have a cable-end installed, so as predicted, it had already started to fray when it was delivered to me before I’d even used the bike.

I’ve thought about changing the cable but before even attempting it I can’t work out how to get the cable out of the shifter. It seems like you have to take the Shifter apart, which would in my case, I’d never be able to put the shifter back together again.

b45her
    Free Member

3mm allen key to remove the cover and simply push the cable out, a toddler could do it.

grannyjone
    Free Member

The last time I took the cover off a SRAM shifter it was game over. Couldn’t possibly put it back together again and another Summer weekend of riding didn’t happen. Though that was an SRAM X7, this is a SRAM GX.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

why replace the cable? Is shifting bad? if the frayed end offends trim it closer and either tape it or crimp an end onto it

grannyjone
    Free Member

It shifts into the gear but in a few of the gears the chain makes a sound like it is not quite aligned with the gear properly when in use.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

if the limits are right then that is adjust with the barrel adjuster on the shifter normally.

grannyjone
    Free Member

The limits are right but it seems no matter how much I mess with the barrel adjuster I can’t get rid of the ‘feel’ that its not properly aligned in certain gears, which is why I’ve been putting it down to the frayed cable end

mikewsmith
    Free Member

the cable after the bolt has nothing to do with shifting no matter what it looks like. After that you are looking at hanger alignment etc.

benpinnick

Bent mech hanger would be my first call, but as said, opening and replacing cable is dead easy. It won’t explode when you take the cover off unless its broken, and then you’ll know why it doesnt shift right 😉

johnw1984
    Free Member

Why do people keep saying you have to take Sram shifters apart to remove cables?

All I have ever done is, shift it into smallest gear and feed the cable back through the hole with the rubber cover over it. Done this on a 10 speed X7, 9 speed X0 gripshift.

Even the my current GX 11 speed has a top cover you just undo and feed the cable out. Just be careful not to start pulling at all the gubbins inside.

My shifting felt iffy the other day. After I’d stopped to inspect it, my mech was actually unscrewed from the hanger slightly!

jonnym92

Why do people keep saying you have to take Sram shifters apart to remove cables?
    Even the my current GX 11 speed has a top cover you just undo and feed the cable out. Just be careful not to start pulling at all the gubbins inside.

I think that’s what they are saying you need to remove. My NX has the rubber port, but it’s pretty crap. X1/GX etc have the little cover and it’s very easy to remove, you won’t break it OP.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Have to say, I’ve been puzzled also, as previous shifters had rubber port, but can’t see anything on the new shifters (X1 and X01 in my case). Though I’ve not needed to yet. Guessed that it would involve unscrewing the cover. Suppose I could RTFM but that’s going too far 😀

Frayed cable? The actual gear cable, just after the clamp on the mech? If so, that won’t affect anything. It’s not nice to look at, but nothing else. If some of it after the clamp isn’t frayed, cut shorter and stick an end cap on.

If you mean the outer has frayed (due to no ferrule?) then replace outer. Inner might be rusted up if it’s been exposed for a while and water in there, so potentially the gear cable itself also. Get ferrules also if missing.

rickmeister

My gx is sensitive to mech hanger alignment…
    Check the hanger isn’t loose then have a good look at the chain alignment into the mech cage and on to the cassette.
    Lastly, jockey wheels are narrow wide on mine, check they are seated on the chain snugly

Hth

chakaping
    Free Member

New bike not shifting right and you can’t fix it?

Back to shop surely?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Changing cables on SRAM GX Shifters ?’ is closed to new replies.