Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Changing a road tube
  • MartinGT
    Free Member

Hi Guys

Right, this is prob the most daftest question on here, but I need help

Ive been riding for about 15 years now albeit mountain biking. I have no problems at all changing a tube on my MTB, but of course the tyres have more room for move. For information I run 26×1.9 on the MTB.

I bought a road bike not so long back for a winter trainer / commuter and I am loving it. Apart from I have a headache with changing the tube! I had a slow puncture the other day waited to finish work to change the tube. Anyways had a real struggle. Took 20-30mins to get the blinking tyre off the rim to get the tube out. I put this down to new bike, new wheels etc.

Anyways, had the same problem this evening, Ive snapped two levers trying to do it. I just cant seem to be able to get my lever under the tyre to pull it partially off the rim to get the tube out. I am running 700x25c.

Is there a dark art about it? Any tips?

Thanks guys

aP
    Free Member

Practice.
    Push the tire bead into the centre of the rim.
    When the tire is off rub the inside with talc, and do it to the tube as well (it should be French chalk but talc is just as good).
    Some combinations of tire and rim are difficult – Campagnolo and Michelin are terrible as an example.

wwaswas

you need to get both beads in the middle of the rim to start with – it gives you a little bit of extra slack to play with.

I have the similar problems with some mtb tyre/rim combo’s though – I end up carrying a DH tyre lever in my camelbak in case I get a puncture the sealant can’t cope with.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘Changing a road tube’ is closed to new replies.