Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Changed from BT to Plusnet and connection is faster and more stable. How?
  • gobuchul
    Free Member

Just changed over to Plusnet from BT.

Had to swop the router as the BT Home Hub is “locked” to BT, however, the Plusnet one is identical, just a different case.

My connection is now faster and more stable, I regularly used to get hangs on Netflix and iPlayer, now it seems a lot better.

How can this be? Basically the same provider with the same router on the same telephone line. Seems very strange.

Half the price as well.

stumpy01

Hmmm. I’d be interested in thoughts on this too, because I keep thinking about swapping from Talk Talk but am not going to stump up for fibre, so assumed the speed/reliability would remain the same as it’s the same bit of wire coming into the house….

ScottChegg
    Free Member

Had to swop the router as the BT Home Hub is “locked” to BT

It isn’t. A quick googlage and the instructions are simple.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Same router firmware?

While with BT, something triggered a lower speed profile which stayed, until line reset with the change to Plusnet?

Hope you remembered https://www.topcashback.co.uk/plusnet_broadband/ 😆

matt_outandabout

My speed and stability has dropped after moving from PlusNet to Sky. 🙁
    Thankfully after cashback and vouchers, Sky only cost £20 for the year and I am not locked in past a year.
    I do not think the Sky router helps – but I cannot use my own router with Sky, bandits.

wwaswas

Less contention is my guess.

gobuchul
    Free Member

Had to swop the router as the BT Home Hub is “locked” to BT
    It isn’t. A quick googlage and the instructions are simple.

Why bother? Just unplugged the BT one and replaced it with the Plusnet. Didn’t even need to swap the power supply.

reformedfatty
    Free Member

2 likely explanations – contention (how many people you are sharing the line with), and traffic shaping, which is where internet service providers restrict certain kinds of traffic e.g. online gaming / video streaming

doris5000

you will likely be on a different router in the local exchange (plusnet’s, rather than BT’s), and again further upstream.

Historically (prior to the BT acquisition) Plusnet were quite a solid ISP and invested a fair bit in bandwidth and infrastructure. Don’t know how it is now but at the time it allowed them to offer better connections etc.

franksinatra

I experienced exactly the same, I just concluded Plusnet have more hamsters spinning more wheels.

stumpy01

franksinatra – Member

I experienced exactly the same, I just concluded Plusnet have more hamsters spinning more wheels.

Sounds most plausible…….wanders of in search of a comparison website…

Ta.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Changed from BT to Plusnet and connection is faster and more stable. How?’ is closed to new replies.