Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • change wifes cx bike to 1×10?
  • sefton
    Free Member

the current chainset is a FSA Gossamer 36/46

I’d like to use this same chainset but put a single ring on it (34t)

where will the new ring bolt onto? the inner ring or the outer?

cheers

jamiep
    Free Member

On a double there is only one set of holes. I assume you don’t mean “inner or outer RING” but inner or outer position of the SPIDER

Sram compact chainset here: new single ring bolted to inside for a better chainline in the big sprocket and easier to index

sefton
    Free Member

yep inner or outer on the spider? Just worried about offsets etc

jonnyboi

Inner would be my choice, but you can change it round.

jam-bo

middle will give a better chainline if it clears the chainstays.

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

It should be in the middle position, but as there isn’t one, inner is *usually* best. Bad chain angles to the small sprocket are usually less painful than bad angles to the large sprocket.

sefton
    Free Member

ok great, was worried I’d have to buy the correct one…but it sounds as if there is only 1 and I’ll just experiment to find best chain line.

ok – cheapest? 110? 34t

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

There’s Raptors at Superstar, both round and oval, for 30 squids.

jonnyboi
    jamiep
    Free Member

Superstar. Holds fine on my CX bike, which doesn’t have a clutch mech, on stuff that is more rooty than one would ever come across on a ‘cross race. In red

sefton
    Free Member

Might throw a chain catcher on too (just in case)trying to make it as fool proof as poss.

….solid tyres? haha

steve_b77
    Free Member

I’ve got a SUperstar 38t on mine with a 105 5701 mech and have only dropped a chain once, including normal trail riding and the 3 Peaks too.

Just get the chain as short as you dare and it won’t come off…………. probably.

Mine is positioned on the inside of the tabs to give better chain line up the cassette.

davidjey
    Free Member

Mine is positioned on the inside of the tabs to give better chain line up the cassette.

This is also worth bearing in mind if you have a choice of two less-than-perfect chainlines. I generally default to the one that suits the bigger sprockets better, as I’m likely to spend more time in those than in the 11/12T.

TiRed

Mine’s Absolute Black 38T on the outside of a SRAM Red road crank. I don’t notice any issues with chainline, although I moved all the spockets out one with a HOUP spacer (so really 1×9). Even when running 1×10, I don’t have any issues, but then the largest sprocket is then a 23T.

RD is a BURD, with 25% increased spring tension. The chain stats firmly put!

sefton
    Free Member

will I be able to use the same bolts? or will I need shorter?

TiRed

You will need shorter bolts.

sefton
    Free Member

what size?

reggiegasket
    Free Member

inner position here. Definitely a better chainline than the outer. You can usually go to a 38 or 40t ring in the inner position before the teeth get too close to the chainstay.

re. bolts – either just get ‘single’ ring bolts or buy some 2mm spacers for your current bolts.

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/chainsets/12-wheels-manufacturing-chainring-spacer-each/

or just fit a lightweight bash where the current 46 ring is?
    http://shop.bbgbashguard.com/products

reggiegasket
    Free Member

yep. You can see the ‘nut’ part isn’t as deep as a normal (double) one. CRC may have some too.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘change wifes cx bike to 1×10?’ is closed to new replies.