Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Change middle chainring HT2 – what tools needed?
  • cakefest
    Free Member

Need to change my middle and granny rings as I’m getting ultra chainsuck. Haven’t worked on HT2 setup before, so what tools do I need to get at them and put the new ones on?

z1ppy

Allen keys, 5p piece and maybe a chainring (bolt) tool if you have one or a screwdriver if not.
    Undo the allen key bolts on your non-drive side crank, unscrew the tension cap with the 5p from the end of the axle, pop the cranks out (may need a little persuasion with a mallet). Then use your allen keys & chainring tool (screw driver) to take the chainrings off. Dead easy! That’s why I love HT II.

You are replacing your chain and cassette too though, aren’t you?… as they’ll all be knackered and will knacker the new chainrings too if you try to mix them.

passtherizla
    Free Member

allen keys, the tool to remove the bearing pre loader, and maybe the tool that hold the back of the chain ring bolts still…

Mister-P
    Free Member

Depending on what model chainset it is you may need torx rather than allen keys on the chainring bolts. Don’t try ramming allen keys in, that is the shortcut to rounding them out.

DrP

Hammer.
    Beer.
    Rubber gloves.
    Margarine.

Bish bash bosh, go riding…..

DrP

cakefest
    Free Member

lovely. worked perfectly, especially the 5p piece trick. nicely.

boltonjon

What ever you do – don’t use lock-tight when putting them back on

I made this mistake 6 months ago and really regretted it last month when changing my middle ring….

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Change middle chainring HT2 – what tools needed?’ is closed to new replies.