Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Change in shock position / leverage ratio
  • Kryton57

OK, so I’ve change from air to coil on a bike with adjustable travel (by repositioning the lower shock bolt).

I under stand the concept of the resulting change of leverage ratio. BUT when I had an air shock I just added more air (as is the recomendation)to help with the sag/feel at the longer setting.

Want I want to know is, now that I have the coil I understand I can use the preload adjuster but with the difference in ratio bugger up the spring? After all in the air shock I am adding what is effectively a harder spring by adding air – not the case with the coil preload though is it?

Thoughts?

fivespot
    Free Member

Usually with springs, about 4 turns of preload are recommended for setting sag. If you still havn’t got your sag right within that range, then a different spring rate is required. It may be worth checking your shock manufacturers web site just to confirm. TF Tuned site has a spring calculator, which is very halpfull. 😉

goodgrief
    Free Member

usually changing shock positions needs a heavier/lighter spring to account for the change in leverage

Kryton57

So the big question – If I use my existing spring, and assume I add as much preload as I dare (bearing in mind the spring will be too light really) but just for test purposes, will it break?

adeward
    Free Member

you wont break your spring,, the shock will normaly bottom out before your spring goes coilbound,,

but changing preload doesnt affect your springrate it only changes how much weight the spring will support before it moves

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Change in shock position / leverage ratio’ is closed to new replies.