Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Chandlers now held hostage for a year
  • Spongebob
    Free Member

Some people have said this couple were foolish to sail in Somail waters. Well they were almost 1000 miles off the shores of Somalia and only 115 miles from the Seychelles at the time of the attack.

Here’s auseful link which gives a bit of insight into this sorry saga.

It cost the taxpayer a lot of money to send out a crack team of highly trained SBS marines to rescue the chandlers (amongst other expensive operations relating to this incident).

It appears that, just when the team were on the point of going in and sorting out these pirates, who were aboard a hijacked large merchant vessel “Kota Wajar”, someone on high back in the UK gave the command to stand down!?

The article suggests that the marines aboard the large naval ship the “Wave Knight” were exasperated as they were ready to go and had trained thoroughly for this scenario. The pirates hadn’t realized that the ship, which was 100ft alongside them in the darkness, was a fully loaded naval vessel with highly trained teams champing at the bit ready to go aboard to take them out. The marines felt very confident that they could have easily taken the pirates out and that the Chandlers would have been safe because they were the pirates’ only bargaining chip.

So my questions are; Who made the decision to stand down and why? Why do we pay out a fortune to train these brave men, if we then don’t let them carry out the tasks for which they have been trained?

Why hasn’t Admiral Stanhope been brought to account for misleading the public over what happened? He made it seem like nobody had witnessed the hostage taking and that it was only by chance that they had found the yacht.

A year on and the Chandlers are still held in captivity with no resolution in sight. Seeing as several attempts to resolve the issue have been prevented, the outlook for them seems bleak.

What a hell this must be for the Chandlers!

psychle
    Free Member

Are they still being held hostage? Christ… I’d kind of forgotten all about them! Seems bloody odd doesn’t it that something hasn’t been done, though look at that ‘rescue’ attempt in Afghanistan or wherever it was, even with the best of intentions it can all go terribly wrong…

rOcKeTdOg

who?

Kuco

Think i’d rather die in a failed rescue attempt than being held captive for a year not knowing that today could be your last.

Andituk
    Free Member

Have they been heard of recently? Are we sure they’re still alive? It does seem to have gone awfully quiet..

Spongebob
    Free Member

Guess this thread is quite topical now. Just watching the ITV news special.

chewkw
    Free Member

Spongebob: So my questions are; Who made the decision to stand down and why?

Probably the cowardice gov’t at that time who was seeking to be re-elected and did not want to have a negative publicity stun if things go wrong. Well, they were not confident bunch them lot in the gov’t as they always seeking political correctness and always seeking to please or approval. Poor leadership etc.

Why do we pay out a fortune to train these brave men, if we then don’t let them carry out the tasks for which they have been trained?

Because the politicians are looking after their own back and trying to play the safest game so they don’t get blame. I guess the operation could not continue because the decision makers pull the plug. Cowards if I may say so.

😯

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Chandlers now held hostage for a year’ is closed to new replies.