• This topic has 10 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by chip.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Chandeliers
  • Ambrose

I’ve been asked to refurbish a chandelier! Anyone ever done this? It is filthy, can I put it into the dishwasher? After all, it’s only glass and metal isn’t it.

And then what? Work out what’s missing, get replacement bits, wire it all back together…?

I’m dead keen to do it but don’t want to mess it up.

Bregante

Sorry but it’s probably best to get it out of the way now…

Caher

Just beaten too it

Bregante

😀

Ambrose

I really set myself up for that didn’t I? Oh well, as you said, at least it is out of the way now 😉

Wally

Just one more turn DelBoy……

eddiebaby
    Free Member

I’d check on any adhesives used before using a dishwasher.

Jingle
    Free Member

I think I have read that using a dishwasher is recommended – not tried it myself.
    Might be best to avoid normal dishwasher detergents; I think they are quite strongly alkali.
    Dartington Crystal suggest using a low temperature program and Finish detergent:
    Dartington Crystal caring for glassware link
    I don’t know how alkali Finish detergent is, but warm alkalis will corrode aluminium, zinc alloys, and increase chances of corrosion if you have two different metals in contact.
    Perhaps like it says on many clothes washing instructions, it would be best to test on a small inconspicuous part first.

tillydog
    Free Member

I wouldn’t put it anywhere near the dishwasher if there’s any chance that it’s crystal glass – there’s a high risk that the detergent could etch the surface and turn it hazy. Soap & warm water would be safer. It may need to be rinsed well and possibly dried with a soft cloth to avoid water staining too.

(A lot of commercial ‘crystal’ glasses don’t contain much lead oxide. Decent crystal glasses are 30%+ lead oxide and are much more sensitive to alkali attack. The chandelier glass *could* be even higher lead content.)

elma
    Free Member

If you go to a lighting shop you can buy cans of chandelier cleaner, its good stuff, you can just leave the chandelier in place and spray the stuff on from underneath and it takes the dirt off onto your dust/ polythene sheet below.

I learnt the best way to do it above after taking one down to clean it by hand and forgetting how it went together again. A 2 hour job turned into a 2 day job at my expense 🙂

chip
    Free Member

They filmed that scene for fools and horses on location rather than a studio and had the original chandelier replaced with a replica for the scene. The director informed them in no uncertain terms they must not laugh during the take as they only had one shot at it due to the replica costing a lot more to have made than the original was worth.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Chandeliers’ is closed to new replies.