Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Chamonix – Trail advice, anyone?
  • honourablegeorge

Flying to Geneva on Saturday, and haven’t really got a plan worked out, other than meeting a mate and renting a car.

I know some lifts in Chamonix are open, so probably heading that direction, pretty sure Les Gets and that are shut.

Anyone got any advice on places/trails/resorts nearby that I should check out? Thinking more the big mountain day out than a load of DH runs.

honourablegeorge

Also – the lifts, anyone? Getting conflicting info about whether lifts are open or not… the Aiguille du Midi is supposedly open according to all the websites, but then I’m told otherwise…

honourablegeorge

Les Arcs?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    saxabar
    Free Member

Les Arcs: all shut (although the funiculaire should/might still be running)
    Chamonix: Aiguille du Midi is off limits, and La Tour and Grand Montets is closed. Don’t know about the lift from town. As ever, best check local websites.

Get ready for some XC action!

johnhe

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQXMKWFQC5I[/video]

Just back from Chamonix the weekend before last. Best trails in the world IMO. The new man made trails in La Flegere are the best “artificial” trails I’ve ever ridden – much better than Chatel/Les Gets/Morzine in my mind (although we rode one day at Chatel and one day at Les Gets for variety).

Before this, I was convinced that the walking trail at La Flegere (which is closed to bikers in July and August) was the best trail I’d ever ridden, but I was amazed to find that the man made trail gave it a run for it’s money.

The Argentiere telecabine closed for the season while we were there, so we only got one day on that equally fab trail. I believe Les Houches was still open, but we were so blown away with La Flegere that we just stayed there.

honourablegeorge

@saxabar – checkign local websites, they say the Aiguille Di Midi is open and bikes are OK to the mid station.

@johnhe – La Flegere – where is it/hwo to get there? Is there a lift open?

stevomcd
    Free Member

Les Arcs: all shut (although the funiculaire should/might still be running)

No, the funicular closed at the end of August along with the rest of the lifts.

honourablegeorge

Trying to sort van uplifts for Les Arcs, so that should hopefully be one day sorted at least.

Mike-E

It’s a long time since I’ve been riding there, but the run from Chamonix to Le Tour and back via the petit balcon used to be a good laugh.

honourablegeorge

Got a guide/uplift sorted for Les Arcs for a day…nice one.

Anyone know for sure if Aiguille du Midi is off limits for bikes? I’m told the halfway mark is OK?

Grump
    Free Member

Honourablegeorge: where did you hear the midi was taking bikes to 1/2 way? It’s been off limits for bikes up till now, but that would be pretty exciting news if it is!
    Otherwise, in chamonix there are no lifts running you can take your bike on. The Tramway du Mont Blanc may still be going from La Fayet, which opens up Les Houche trails, and the normal train is going to get you from La Fayet to Chamonix, although it’s currently replaced by a bus for the journey up the valley. Think Verbier is still open at weekends.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Chamonix – Trail advice, anyone?’ is closed to new replies.