Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Chamonix mtb
  • superfinlay
    Free Member

Any recommendations for chamonix MTB hire and routes please? I enjoy a good 1,000m climb or two. Thanks.

johnhe

I’m not an expert, but I have ridden there a few times. There is a MTB map available at the tourist offices. In June and Sept you can ride the walking trails, but that’s a no-no in July and August.

There are official, purpose built MTB trails at Le Tour and Les Houches – which are at either end of the valley. I rode the trail at Le Tour a few years ago and it was absolutely fantastic.

There is a beautiful trail, that is permitted all year, at Argentiere. You take the large gondola up and then descend towards Les Praz. Switchback heaven.

My favourite trail of all is the La Flegere trail, stopping at the wonderful little off-grid cafe for lunch. But that trail is not open to bikes in July/August.

tuskaloosa
    Free Member

There is a Chamonix bike book abt 15 quid. Easy to follow.

When we went a few of the guys rented from zero g… think they had some spesh enduro’s for hire back then.

We went early Sept just before the lifts close as johnhe says Jul-Aug is pretty much a no-go

Digby

+1 for the Chamonix Bike Book. Written by Tom who works at Zero-G

Grump
    Free Member

tuskaloosa’s shout for the bike book is going to be the most useful bit of advice you’ll get, Tom the author works in ZeroG in the centre of town so you can even chat to him when you buy it. I think ZeroG have pulled out of bike rental this year, however their mechanic has started a new shop “slash” at the other end of town where you can rent high end kit for reasonable prices (Trek Slash 29’rs etc) or there’s Legend CHX for Giant/Santa Cruz rentals.
    The bike ban is only really relevant for Brevent and Flegere. Le Tour and Les Houches are pretty much unaffected, at some point I’ll get round to writing an article explaining it, but in the meantime here’s 10 of the best descents in Chamonix, a mix of lift and pedal access, and only 3 are off limits just now. http://www.chamonixbikeblog.com/2016/top-ten/
    When are you out? The UTMB race at the end of August/start of September makes the LE Tour area a bit too busy and the Vallorcine gondola close just after that.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Chamonix mtb’ is closed to new replies.