Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • chamonix in august
  • jedi

how hard to get accommodation!!!!!!

only going for 3 nights too.
    does anyone have any recommendations?

cynic-al
    Free Member

does anyone have any recommendations?

Dont get caught riding the trails.

nickjb
    Free Member

Quite surprised its tricky. We've never had and issues getting accommodation in other ski resorts as they have masses of capacity to cope with the ski season. We usually go direct to chalet owners, just fire off a load of cut-and-paste emails and see what comes back.

Schweiz
    Free Member

Hope Jedi doesn't mind the hijack but can anyone tell me exactly which area is closed to bikes in July/August?

BTW, accommodation for 3 days outside of hotels can be hard to find. Most places are geared up to rental by the week. There are usually some last minute deals around though.

geoffj
    neilforrow

http://www.hotelclocher.com/

first class hotel, cheep' off street parking, hose pipe to wash the bikes off, and a good brekkie… in the center of town.. 2 min ride to the brevant lift, bike shop on tother' side of the street.

stayed there for a week last year..

the owner has a retro Super v

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

Look here for permitted trails: http://world.chamonix.com/PDF/planVTTFr.pdf

Only the ones marked as coloured trails are permitted from 1 July until 31 August. A couple of the blacks are OK, but IME the others are pretty lame and stuffed with walkers. Go to La Thuile and Pila just through the tunnel instead.

Brown
    Free Member

Maybe try up the road in Argentiere? There's a campsite and a couple of hostels there at least. Often a bit quieter than Chamonix.

beanum

BigFoot Travel

You could try these, Chalet Whymper is centre of town and run like a B&B…

Schweiz
    Free Member

Thanks Troutwrestler,

I'm trying to work out what the geographical limits of the ban are. Is it only valid in the commune Chamonix or is it some other larger area?

geetee1972
    Free Member

Just on the point of access, I was talking to a mate of mine who lives there and he couldn't actually say what authority anyone had to stop you from riding on the trails that are closed to bikers.

There is an obviously logical argument for wanting to do it of course; the area is very popular with walkers and the trails are blindingly fast on a bike. But it seems as though there is no law by which you can enforce the ban. It's not like England, where you have a law that makes it illegal to ride a bike on a 'footpath'.

uplink
    Free Member

I've turned up on spec at the Vagabond a couple of times & got a bed

http://www.gitevagabond.com/web/summer.htm

stevomcd
    Free Member

But it seems as though there is no law by which you can enforce the ban. It's not like England, where you have a law that makes it illegal to ride a bike on a 'footpath'.

It'll be an "arreté municipal", a local bye-law approved by the mayor.

Equally, land-owners have the right to ban you from their property, just because they feel like it.

geetee1972
    Free Member

AH OK that makes sense. My friend has lived there for a few years now and professed to know but when pressed I don't think he was as sure as he said he was.

Gooner
    Free Member

2nd Chalet Whymper
    its basic but central. We have stayed there each vist for the last 3 years

with regard to the access we have never had any real problems. A local ranger who caught us riding on a "footpath only" told us we shouldn't but go carefully and you will be alright

watch out for the walkers though – but only if they are british as they moan wherever you ride!

jedi

i booked with bigfoot. cheers. will let everyone know how it was. 🙂

forgotmename
    Free Member

I gave Paul a number to ring, did it work?

jedi

paul didnt mention it. but it is paul lol

forgotmename
    Free Member

Quality, il see you there then.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Belevdere Gite in Argentiere

Are you flying? Try ChamVan for transfer might get some riding knowledge too

Stripe
    Free Member

2nd for the Gite in Argentiere – or camping at Les Choselets, right at the bottom of the 47 switchback descent!! But be warned – take a **** big sleeping bag – it gets REALLY cold at night!! 😮

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘chamonix in august’ is closed to new replies.