Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Chamoix butter alternatives!
  • shanta
    Free Member

Had a few 5hr + rides lately which has resulted in rather nasty saddle soreness. My saddle (Gobi) is fine on normal length rides of 2-3 hrs but it looks like anything longer and im going to suffer. Cant bring myself to pay £12 for Chammy butter so was wondering what alternatives are out there, would Sudacrem or similar do the job?

Cheers

Cougar

Sudacrem is primarily for nappy rash and used in hospitals for bedsores; so I suspect it’ll be ideal for saddle-sore posteriors.

cranberry
    Free Member

What Cougar said – it works very well, and it also makes your finger nails nice and shiny.

Simon_Semtex
    Free Member

Got to say it………… Hats off to “Chapeau!”

Excellent stuff, used to be a cheap skate and use Sudocrem. Proper cycling stuff is much better.

Chapeau is sold by the same guys that do Juice Lubes.

globalti
    Free Member

It’s CHAMOIS.

trail_rat
    Free Member

cant say cycling stuff is better really

tried most brands and i always end up sorer than if i just went dry

seems to soften the skin and cause sores

on a rescent 5 day tour with regular long distance cyclists (and one non cyclist) my self and the non cyclist didnt use anything and the other 2 had chamois butter and sudocrem – both were in bits by the end of the tour – my self and the non cyclist were fine …. i could believe my self as A i was on n old brooks and B i have an arse like an old brooks ….but a non cyclist too ….

druidh
    Free Member

The “made for cycling” creams generally have a nicer consistency than Sudocreme which means that the chamois/pad will also absorb it better.

As to whether or not it makes a difference, I think a lot of that is down to the fit of your pad (e.g. does it bunch/are there seams) and how much you move around on the saddle. I always use a proprietary cream when doing multi day stuff and never have any sores etc.

Chapeau is also available in menthol….

http://www.thebikechain.co.uk/Chapeau-Chamois-Cream-Menthol-201117060202/

MrSmith
    Free Member

why not spend £12 when it does the job better than cheaper alternatives?

that’s the price of 3 pints of expensive imported continental lager in a trendy drinking establishment, a tub/tube of elite/assos/udder creme is going to last several months.

rossi46
    Free Member

It dosent matter what you use- just get your other half to rub it on before you go out and you’ll be fine!

Shibboleth
    Free Member

Udder cream is about 6 quid at Wiggle, I find the lanolin in it improves the skin if you’re using it 3 or 4 times a week.

It is a lot thinner than most creams, so it’s absorbed quickly. Sudocreme on its own is a bit claggy and I find it causes more pimple rash because of this. I tried mixing it with vaseline for a better consistency, which was OK, but I don’t think you can beat udder cream or Assos.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Chamoix butter alternatives!’ is closed to new replies.