Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Chameleon with 170mm forks……….
  • Lemurian
    Free Member

As a temporary measure (only a couple of days in the peaks), thinking of putting my 'zocchi 66's on my chameleon. They're 170mm travel so not sure if they will bugger up the geometry completely, the recommended max is 160mm. I would most likely increase the sag so the head angle isn't quite as slack. Anyone done this before?

cynic-al
    Free Member

If they're OK on 160mm another 10mm won't trash the handling.

freeganbikefascist
    Free Member

^ what he says, but don't expect any sympathy from SC if you crack the headtube and f-plant losing all your teeth.

pics once it's fitted!

is the 66 a single or triple crown? if triple, may be worth just checking to make sure SC don't say anything about that. Shouldn't make a difference, but Evil (for example) specifically warned against triple crown forks on the 853 Sov, although that could have been a "we know what you want to do, no you can't fit Fox 40 DH forks, you mong" only more polite.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    james
    Free Member

How tall are they? (Axle-Crown). (Fox/RS 160mm forks are 545mm, Magura are 540mm for eg)

(I'm of the understanding) the leverage of the length of the fork has more to do with ripping headtubes off than (stated) fork travel?*

I seem to recall Cotic Soul mkI's being limited to forks of upto 130mm travel and specifically upto axle-crown heights of 508mm (RS RVL)

*I'm not sure on any of this though, so don't go quoting me or anything

this website would suggest 2005 170mm 66's have an axle-crown height of 595mm (2006 being 555mm), so 50mm taller than a typical 160mm fork?

freeganbikefascist
    Free Member

(I'm of the understanding) the leverage of the length of the fork has more to do with ripping headtubes off than (stated) fork travel?

yes it's the actual A2C when the leverage is applied. Good point about Varying A2C distances but, while I reckon it'd be OK (esp if you set the sag a little deeper into the travel and the diff is only 10), SC would still likely disavow any liability in the event of a problem.

50mm difference is a lot though so check your fork's actual A2C against a current 160mm fork

ferrit
    Free Member

I have these forks and they are VERY long for a 170mm fork.

The year after they reduced the A2C height by 40mm, IIRC…

I tried mine on a mate's Chromag hardtail and it was just ridiculous.

Lemurian
    Free Member

Cheers guys, so from the sound of it I should be ok(ish), maybe. Thanks for the info james, luckily mine are 2006 ones so at least they're shorter than the '05s! 😕 Think running them with more sag than usual should help, means when they're in use they should be shorter than normal.

lyons
    Free Member

You could buy my lyrics for the weekend….

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Chameleon with 170mm forks……….’ is closed to new replies.