Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Chameleon build-up
  • Rainmaker
    Free Member

Without going mad, how realitic is it to build up a Chameleon around 24lbs? I have a Fox float RLC in the shed and some light wheels and would like something tough and reliable as a general trail bike.

nickc

Why would you start a lightweight build with a Chameleon frame? There are many more suitable bikes to start with if it’s a lightweight trail bike you’re after.

Rainmaker
    Free Member

Nick, I am not after a light build per se, the primary requirements are sa hardtail that is tough, can handle a 130mm fork, but will not be a pig to haul uphill. I have a couple of 30.9 seatposts and some other bit and pieces so I decided to look at the Chameleon.

nickc

Fairy-nuff. Think you’ll be pushing your luck with getting it down to 24lbs, unless it’s a small, I reckon. Mines a large, and has some pretty lightweight kit on it (carbon post and bars, Magura Thors full XT and so on) and is probably about 27-28lb (maybe).

john_l
    Free Member

Nick – how is it with the Thor? Not too vague on climbs, tight stuff?

Driller
    Free Member

Just build it strong, lay off the pies for a couple of weeks, or just half-fill your camelbak and throw out the three spare tubes and four mars bars then go out and have fun. That’s what Chameleons are meant for.

NotoriousP.I.D
    Free Member

Of course you can build it up light, as a proportion of the total weight the frame is not that much. A Cham weighs just over 4lbs. A super light cross country frame weighs what? 2.5lbs? and you can get top end cross country bikes around 21lbs? build it up like that and bingo sub 24lbs Chameleon.

Question is whether you would want to.

nickc

Nick – how is it with the Thor? Not too vague on climbs, tight stuff?

Now that I’ve finally sorted out pressures, and a few quirks, it’s a fine fork, not at all wander-y on climbs (I’ve started to leave it at 140 for everything) it’s nice and stiff, goes where you point it. Better at high speed stuff

john_l
    Free Member

Got one on my Hustler & really like it. But thinking about changing the Cove for something like a Chameleon. 1 year itch ;0)

timbercombe
    Free Member

It wouldn’t have to go toosilly in my opinion.
    A friend’s got a Medium Cham, spec; Bonty Racelite Wheels, Schwalbe Nobby Nicks 2.4″, XC Tubes, Evolve XC Stem, EA70 Bar, Rev Coil-Uturns, XT Gears, I-fly/I-beam, Juicy 5s, Truvativ XC Cranks, maybe Firex, that sits around 27.8lbs, could drop to 25\26lbs lbs with air forks, Tubeless, lighter tyres but to get it to 24lbs it might not be so fun to ride.

whippersnapper
    Free Member

i have an xl Chameleon and built it up with Revs, XT, mavic xm rims etc, generally sturdy yet not too heavy stuff. Being an xl it was never gonna be sub 24lbs, it must have been about 28 if not more but it never felt slow…

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Chameleon build-up’ is closed to new replies.